CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-25-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
To me these look like one arm swings, which gets me thinking that perhaps I'm going at one arm snatches the wrong way and I should be thinking about them in the same regards of swings. Or is this video an exception and is more about showing the athletes power over form?

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/051025.wmv
Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
That is interesting. I am watching it now with your comments in mind. I wish we could also have a side view.

I don't see a swing so much as that, when he pops his hips for the power, since his arms are "straps" they kind of swing forward a bit. but not much. It gets worse as he goes on (which makes sense - I find crossfit workouts push the limits where form starts to go and you have to fight hard to maintain a semblence of good form).

I particularly like his form on the skateboard at the end - though that must have been a hard workout to change his body type that much in such a short time!

Old 10-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Only having read about and looked at videos and pictures the KB swing differs from the snatch in the final push at the top where you flip the KB over so that it is touchign your forearm. In the KB swing you are swinging it and the KB remains at "full extension" even when overhead. Also in his snatches I do see that his elbow pulls up so that he can flip the KB at the top. As opposed to a swing in which you aren't supposed to bend the elbow at all.

Until I can afford a KB I'll be doing these with a DB sub.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Karl Steadman

Profile:
See i've been doing kb snatches wrong looking at that vid.....

I go from the floor and up with every rep, ripping the bell outta the ground and letting the bell come over onto my forearm at the top.....timing is key to absorb the momentum into the lock out at the top otherwise you sport BIIIIIG bruises on your arms for about a week (erm......so i've heard :uhoh:)

Looking at Greg's, if that's the proper way to do them, i've been doing them proper wrong! Doh!

Oh well...you live and learn i guess huh?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
I think the answer to this question is just that he's doing POWER snatches.

The hip drive is there, the lack of arm assist is there. The kb stays pretty close to his body.

He's just such a machine that his hip drive is sufficient to accelerate the bell without having to get under it. I'm going to just pretend that the fact that I need to get under the bell means that I'm working harder not that I have a weak hip drive :blush:.

I wanna be like Greg or Matt or Josh or everybody else!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
The problem I see is that an Olympic-Style Snatch (OSS) requires: 1) a pull from the floor, 2) a double knee bend, 3) a catch in the overhead position, and 4) an almost straight vertical line of travel of the weight. The beauty of the OSS is that it is an extremely fast lift from the floor to overhead by going through the shortest distance: a straight line (more or less).

The KB snatch (KBS) as demoed by Greg has the following characteristics: 1) starting from the hang position, 2) a single knee/hip extension, 3) a catch in the overhead position, and 4) an arcing motion of the weight forward and back because the arm stays straight. Therefore, it seems that the KBS is relatively slower because the weight moves through a slow arc instead of a straight line up. Furthermore, I am guessing less work is done due to the fact that the weight travels a shorter distance starting from the hang instead of from the floor and the time it takes is slower.

I am assuming that the Greg's form is correct because I don't know a lot about KB Snatches, but I've seen other people do them in a similar fashion. When I have done one arm snatches with dumbbells I have tried to use a similar form to my OSS: straight up from the floor and catching in a one arm overhead squat. I don't see a reason to do them as swings if that's going to slow me down and I'll have to learn a different form for my OSS. Seems to make more sense to make all my snatches follow the same form whether I use a barbell, dumbbell, kettlebell or pvc pipe.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Josh Everett

Profile:
Greg's form is fine. It looks just like mine and a few years ago I won a KB competition judged by Pavel himself.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Josh,

You are correct. Greg's form is fine, he is doing kettlebell snatches. I just competed in the X-country kettlebell GS meet in St Louis this weekend. I had the opportunity to watch some of the best in the US compete (Cotter, Whitley and Imes) and they all performed kb snatches under strict scrutiny. Everyone I mentioned is also an experienced RKC and competitor; there was no chance I was seeing something performed wrong.

Greg A. is definitely doing a kb snatch.

I think folks are confusing kettlebell snatches with barbell snatches. If you aren't sure about what you are seeing, please ask before passing judgement. There are a good number of RKCs and other folks on this forum who know kettlebell exercises.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
John Kaupp

Profile:
The KB snatch is not the same as the Oly snatch. The KB snatch starts out as a swing and ends overhead. The key to the snatch is to pull the shoulder back into the socket when the KB reaches about shoulder height, and then push or punch through at the top. You know when you do it right when it does not bang up your forearm. There are a few different variations(hard style vs. Girevoy Sport style) but it all starts with the swing. Just like the Oly snatch is all about the second pull(jumping the barbell through a range of motion). Greg's form looks fine on the video.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Seeing Greg's video was a huge help for me.

I don't have a KB, so I was subbing a DB. Without the video I would have done them from the floor, Olympic style. Changes the workout a lot to do them in the way Greg demonstrated.