CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Francis Palattao

Profile:
main site wod vs affiliate wod

I did some initial searching and it seems like the answer is it depends on the goals of the one training, equipment and if they have another sport they are using cf to train on.

I want peoples opinion especially the ones who dont train at an affiliate, since most of the affiliates have their own programming. Which WOD do you follow, your affiliate or main site, assuming you dont use CF to train for your sport but more for fitness and being an overall athlete.

I'm thinking of just trying out the main site to add variety since I train at home but do drop ins at an affiliate nearby.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: main site wod vs affiliate wod

WHat are your goals?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
John McConnell

Profile:

I have trained on my own and with an affiliate and I would recommend that you not mix and match their workouts. In a good program the WODs are not chosen at random, their order does serve a purpose and if you start just picking one at random based on how you feel that day you may not get the best results possible.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

I have always worked out from home and have always followed the mainsite WODs. Occassionally I will throw in some Crossfit Endurance WODs if I'm training for a 5k or something (or the Philadelphia Broad Street 10 miler back in the spring). However, I check out a bunch of affiliate websites every day to see what they are doing and how their programming looks. Right now, One World is doing a Crossfit Football based strength bias for a month which I might replicate down the road just to change things up. Just pick one...mainsite, an affiliate, CF football (if you want more pure strength), catalyst athletics (if you want to work on the Oly lifts)...and stick to it for awhile and see how it treats you.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
WHat are your goals?
Thanks for the response. Goal is pretty much overall fitness. I was just thinking if I'm losing out on not doing the main site wods and just the affiliate wods.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Tom Reyes

Profile:

I'm a 4-6 day a week Crossfitter, started late Jan 09. I'm 40. 85-90% Paleo since May. I use my affiliates training, and love it. The biggest difference I see between my affiliate (BGI Fitness) and the main-site's workouts is that the main site seems to do a little more of the 1-1-1-1-1 or 3-3-3-3-3 workouts. I can say that in a 4 month span, from March to July my Crossfit total went from 430 to 875. I don't think that I'm missing out on strength gains.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I've recently started following main page as closely as possible. It's an *** kicker. Trying to do 2 - 3 CFE WODS a week in there too in preparation for the Disney Marathon. No additional running. We'll see how it goes

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 08-25-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Michael Ingley

Profile:

Im going to start CFSB along with my affiliate WODS.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

What you decide to do depends entirely on what you want. If you want more strength, do CFSB, CFFB, ME black box, gant's, etc. If you want more endurance, work in CFE to the main page. If you want to work gymnastics, I'm sure steven would be more than happy to help you program that.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Brandon Petersen

Profile:

Jamie,

do you have links to those sites for the WOD?
Not sure i know exactly which ones your referring to...
I am also searching for one to follow, and trying to figure out which would be best for me etc.

thank you