CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #31
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: CrossFitters vs Decathletes

Quote:
the same does not go for a crossfitter transferring into high level decathlon
WTF! Are you telling me learning how to throw a medball into a square 10' feet high from 1' away does not make me as skillful than to shoot a free throw. Do you mean that because I can learn how to do a thruster that I will not own the ability to throw a javelin, hammer, or shot?

Eee gads, I never would have thought. I thought Crossfit would make my putting better, really.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #32
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
WTF! Are you telling me learning how to throw a medball into a square 10' feet high from 1' away does not make me as skillful than to shoot a free throw. Do you mean that because I can learn how to do a thruster that I will not own the ability to throw a javelin, hammer, or shot?

Eee gads, I never would have thought. I thought Crossfit would make my putting better, really.
you might find learning the decathlon events easier than average joe but you dont have to do the movement of throwing a medball into a 10' foot high square perfectly to get it in.
On the other hand you have to release your javelin at a perfect angle with maximum power and have an almost perfect run up to be competitive with other top decathletes, this kind of perfection takes years of practise.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #33
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Alex, that was pretty much my point.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #34
Alex McRobie

Profile:

my bad
Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #35
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Wilson View Post
3rd-If you were devising a competition to test the CrossFitter vs the decathlete, what might YOU include as events that wouldnt bias one way or the other?
I would write down an equal number of of events/exercises from both groups in a master list and have the players agree on them.

Then for the contest, I'd randomly sample events/exercises from this master list.

Justin
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #36
Tim Morrison

Profile:

Not considering who would do the others event better (a fairly useless discussion), I'd have to characterize an Elite Crossfitter 'fitter' only because he has the strength dimension in his repertoire...strength being an essential to Fitness.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #37
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

When I was in another sport (Track cycling) this type of debate came up.. Pro football player vs. Track cyclist.. one decathlete (Jr college type) started on the track and you could see some hints of power to the pedals. 4 years later he is really fast. But world wide not so much. He has the dedication for cycling that he put into T&F events. Another high end football player took his hand at cycling but not so much.

Some pro foot ball players went into Grid but did not make an impact. I spoke with a ex high level football pro and he is starting out CF. He might come and train but he is injured right now.

I could see a 10 event person coming into crossfit and doing well. It would take a while but they could do it.

I played sports (cycling, power lifting, running, Marines, Sailing, cycling and now Crossfit) Crossfit involves many other aspects, mental, recovery, diet.. I get my butt kicked regularly by some other guys my age. So many things that you have to train.. so many injuries..

All time bests- Bench 450#, Ran 3 miles off road in 18 min, 4.7ish 40..I just say this because I used to be strong. Now middle of the pack. 1 rep max type of events are usually 1 out of 8-15 overall. BB cycling is used more often.

If they program Decathlon type of events the person will smoke them.

CrossFit likes to find people and do stories on them when they come from a high level past sport. I was one of them..

https://games.crossfit.com/article/p...k-vic-mcquaide
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58