CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #21
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: physiology of energy pathways and implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I'm interested at how you would tweak energy pathways to improve my bowling score. My goal is a 250 average by October.

My guess is the best plan is beer and bowling.

You can PM me the answer, as I'm leaving this thread. I have to agree with Christin - there is a difference between providing helpful information (see just about any of Gant Grimes posts and experiments) and just throwing stuff out there. The basic principles of the energy systems are just about anyone would need to get into, not a graduate level discussion of their application, because for the vast majority here it means absolutely nothing.
Well bowling is mostly alactic in nature, and requires anaerobic endurance. Doing things like arm ergometers for intervals, would hep delay fatigue in your bowling arm.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
Dean Bozzano

Profile:

These are good points made here in that everyone should know that not all the information shared on this or any other board is good solid factual and scientific theory. Some people repeat what they have heard from others and some myths just seem to march on. CrossFit should do what some other boards do and appoint some experts in several areas to address posts that just do not adequately explain things or are just wrong. I know that I have read many posts that have old science or just wrong science but the explanations would take much longer than I often have time to do, especially since nobody wants to hear a bunch of scientific terms that you can't understand. A good teacher distills information down to terms that everyone can learn from and understand. This takes time and experience. Even Steven short-cut the chemical explanation of how energy is created and used some terms that I bet many people would not understand. If I showed you the diagram of the process it would make your eyes cross.
Everyone should make an attempt to read some science books, even just basic ones and don't rely on getting all your information off of the Internet as anything can be printed here. That being said there is a lot of great and accurate information in the threads, I am just not sure how most people can tell the difference if you don't already have a background and training in the sciences.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #23
Victor Putz

Profile:

Ah, been a while since a Steven Low post! Sorry to see you leave. Not only were your posts generally informative, I spent an inordinate amount of time staring at your avatar wondering how you competed with only one foot.

(embarassingly, it took some time before I figured out what was going on)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #24
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Why is fitness for fitness' sake not a good goal? I've seen that quite a few times now...it's actually analogous to this entire thread...

e.g. George Mounce doesn't need to understand the bio-chemistry to be fitter than the guy who does...Doesn't mean the rest of us have "bad"/"no" goals if we DO want to understand it....

The goal of being fitter is legit.

Last edited by Aushion Chatman : 07-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
Dean Bozzano

Profile:

Fitness for Fitness sake is a good goal. But after years of being in this industry, everyone I have run across who gets into health and fitness wants more and more information. Becoming knowledgeable about how your body works can only make your efforts easier and better. The original point here was bad information makes the process worse and less effective. Everyone does not need to know the body chemistry in full details but you should understand the basic metabolic pathways and the difference between a long endurance but short lived metabolic burn rate vs. short interval high intensity longer living hormonal effects to the body that create a different caloric burn rate over the next 24-48 hours. This may cause you to workout differently depending on if your fitness goals are to lose weight, build strength or develop long period stamina. If you just enjoy moving then you don't need a lot of info, just keep moving and some level of health and fitness will naturally follow. But as i said most people get hooked and want to pursue higher levels and request more information. My clients ask a lot of questions, and they get better and better the more they learn. But if they are not having fun and enjoying the lessons and routines, all that fancy chemistry does nothing for them.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Putz View Post
Ah, been a while since a Steven Low post! Sorry to see you leave. Not only were your posts generally informative, I spent an inordinate amount of time staring at your avatar wondering how you competed with only one foot.

(embarassingly, it took some time before I figured out what was going on)
I've yet to figure that avatar out. Looks like one exceptionally long leg.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bozzano View Post
Fitness for Fitness sake is a good goal. But after years of being in this industry, everyone I have run across who gets into health and fitness wants more and more information. Becoming knowledgeable about how your body works can only make your efforts easier and better. The original point here was bad information makes the process worse and less effective. Everyone does not need to know the body chemistry in full details but you should understand the basic metabolic pathways and the difference between a long endurance but short lived metabolic burn rate vs. short interval high intensity longer living hormonal effects to the body that create a different caloric burn rate over the next 24-48 hours. This may cause you to workout differently depending on if your fitness goals are to lose weight, build strength or develop long period stamina. If you just enjoy moving then you don't need a lot of info, just keep moving and some level of health and fitness will naturally follow. But as i said most people get hooked and want to pursue higher levels and request more information. My clients ask a lot of questions, and they get better and better the more they learn. But if they are not having fun and enjoying the lessons and routines, all that fancy chemistry does nothing for them.
Exactly my point Dean, not everyone cares about the biochemistry doesn't make it a bad goal to understand it.

Not everyone does CF to progress to sport, doesn't make it a bad idea to do CF. Elite fitness shouldn't mean Elitist...but it seems like we're going there. Peace.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bozzano View Post
These are good points made here in that everyone should know that not all the information shared on this or any other board is good solid factual and scientific theory. Some people repeat what they have heard from others and some myths just seem to march on. CrossFit should do what some other boards do and appoint some experts in several areas to address posts that just do not adequately explain things or are just wrong. I know that I have read many posts that have old science or just wrong science but the explanations would take much longer than I often have time to do, especially since nobody wants to hear a bunch of scientific terms that you can't understand. A good teacher distills information down to terms that everyone can learn from and understand. This takes time and experience. Even Steven short-cut the chemical explanation of how energy is created and used some terms that I bet many people would not understand. If I showed you the diagram of the process it would make your eyes cross.
Everyone should make an attempt to read some science books, even just basic ones and don't rely on getting all your information off of the Internet as anything can be printed here. That being said there is a lot of great and accurate information in the threads, I am just not sure how most people can tell the difference if you don't already have a background and training in the sciences.
he did what any good teacher does.Takes complex information, and boiled it down to the easier to understand basics that you can actually apply and use
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Great information, Steve.

As with the others, I'll miss you and your information. I always felt smarter after reading a Steven Low posting.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #30
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mahn View Post
I've yet to figure that avatar out. Looks like one exceptionally long leg.
Scott & Victor- Whew! I'm so glad someone finally questioned the avatar. What is up with that single long leg??