CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #41
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: physiology of energy pathways and implications

I dont see it as a thinly veiled critque, just simply posing a valid question. Why are you doing cf? CF is great, but it wont meet all the fitness goals everyone might have.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #42
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johns View Post
As a final post, it was good information laced with a slightly condescending tone and concluded with a veiled critique of CF, its ignorant posters, and the blind sheep who do it. Stay classy
Considering Steven's body of work and overall helpfulness, I thought it was very appropriate. And given all the recent alternative programming threads, this was very timely. As CF continues to grow, more people will come here for their dose of GPP but with more specific goals in mind. And that's fine.

If you can understand this thread, Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and a few select articles from the CF and PM journals, you can program anything you want to. No, it's not vital to understand this for GPP, but it is extremely helpful when programming for specific fitness goals or for sport. We may not know what happens in the black box, but we can have an educated guess as to what will come out.

For those of you that think Steven is harsh, check out Lyle McDonald or the Moynihan Institute. For that matter, post up a silly question to Rip or Coach and you'll get the same treatment.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #43
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post

For those of you that think Steven is harsh, check out Lyle McDonald or the Moynihan Institute. For that matter, post up a silly question to Rip or Coach and you'll get the same treatment.
I don't have a problem with Steven, but the difference between him and those you mention is that they do it on their own blogs, where people come to question them specifically. Nobody is forcing Steven to answer any questions put to the the CrossFit community at large.

And I know some people who are quite put off by Lyle and Rip. Not sure Mr Glassman wants Steven Low, or any self-appointed expert, turning people off to the CrossFit boards.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #44
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Johns View Post

As a final post, it was good information laced with a slightly condescending tone and concluded with a veiled critique of CF, its ignorant posters, and the blind sheep who do it. Stay classy
I agree that is was filled with good information...

I don't think there was anything veiled in his critique at all. In fact he backed up his claims after presenting a preponderance of information to substantiate his statements. I think he addresses something that is quite true, CrossFit in its programming format off the main site is not the answer for every type of athlete. As others have posted it is not going to fit everyone’s fitness goal.

As far as his indictment of “terrible answers” and such this board suffers from the same maladies as other boards I read. That is, it contains a large amount of conjecture and useless information. Personally I read this board much more than I post. In my opinion the CrossFit board has much less of junk than other boards on the Internet; it is a much better board than most (IMHO).
Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #45
Rob Johns

Profile:

I have no problem with Steven either, I was mostly just amused by what appeared to me to be good info sandwiched between a few petty parting barbs. I'm not interested in revisiting the "why do we do CF?" theme, which was covered exhaustively by in Brandon's thread.

No matter, best of luck to Steven.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #46
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
If you can understand this thread, Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and a few select articles from the CF and PM journals, you can program anything you want to. No, it's not vital to understand this for GPP, but it is extremely helpful when programming for specific fitness goals or for sport. We may not know what happens in the black box, but we can have an educated guess as to what will come out.
Did science help Ivan Drago??

I kid cause I love...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #47
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Did science help Ivan Drago??

I kid cause I love...
That's funny!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #48
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Here is Steven's full avatar picture. It is revealing. http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1...ommels2fx8.jpg

wfs
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #49
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Here is Steven's full avatar picture. It is revealing. http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1...ommels2fx8.jpg

wfs
Thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 AM   #50
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post

wfs
Aha! I was right.