CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
Gary Mills

Profile:
Crossfit training is far harder and more high intensity than I have ever done before. The amount of reps per exercise are also far higher.

Is there any evidence that this can cause more wear and tear and so cause problems in later life. Or is there any evidence to suggest that it will benefit you as you age.

Gary.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:

Gary-

You raise a valid question and as to "evidence" I do not beleive any exists. I work in a rehab setting and the things which seem to get people are inactivity and overuse. The overuse is typified by daily high volume training which is not the norm with CrossFit. In the testimonials page and injury page there are quite a number of people who have reversed some nasty problems.

I understand your concern but I view the CrossFit approach as Pre-habilitation. I can only recomend that you tinker with this and listen to your body. You are by far the most knowledgable authority on what does and does not work for you.
Robb
Old 04-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
"Prehabilitation" is perfect! I love it. :lol:
Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Define long term. I have been doing gymnastics for 17 years. It's an incredibly high intensity high impact sports. When I feel the worst is when I am forced to train less due to life situations. I have only seen benifit. This stuff does have to be done properly though. That's why these guys are all sticklers for good technique.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
James Taft

Profile:

Damn Roger! That's awesome. From my observations and questioning it is the people who stop doing any physical activity at all that have the most problems later in life with joints, muscles, and bone density. Everyone sees old people on a daily basis that can hardly walk. Then you sometimes see old people like Jack Lalane, Helio Gracie, etc. that seem to be in decent shape. Someone once told me that your body is like a machine. It requires daily maintenance and operation to keep the joints lubricated and fully functional. Obviously we all slow down as we age, but if we keep doing something (safely) we will probably live longer and feel better as we age. I know this is preaching to the choir, just thought I would chime in. National Strenght & Condtioning Association (NSCA) does some research on exercise and its effects on older people. Might be a good place to start for people looking for empirical data to back up their arguments.

Jim
Old 04-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

I don't see it as a huge risk for damage. Most of the damage you receive is going to be caused by bad form, or doing tons of exercises. Crossfit is usually short and to the point. Look at how many sets your doing compared with most programs.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Gary Mills

Profile:
The only reason I ask is this. I've trained for years but it's only during the last couple of months, since I discovered Crossfit, that I have realised that I'm nowhere near as fit as I thought I was. The only drawback seems to be that, although I feel fitter and stronger, I am constantly aching. I wonder if this is because my form is bad or maybe I don't cool down enough after a workout or maybe both.

It seems ironic that on the one hand I feel fitter than ever yet on the other hand feel like, at times, I'm moving like an old man because I ache so much.

Gary