CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Navy Seal WOD

What's the deal with this? Are these "approved" by CF? They look to be a bit longer. What's everyone's opinion? Worth trying?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: Navy Seal WOD

They're WOD's created by a CF Affiliate that are geared towards individuals planning on entering the Navy SEAL training pipeline.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
What's the deal with this? Are these "approved" by CF? They look to be a bit longer. What's everyone's opinion? Worth trying?
As long as they're functional movements done with high intensity...they should be good. If you're curious...do it and see how you like it. You may find you have an affinity for their programming.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
James Forbes

Profile:

You are talking about www.Navyseals.com/crossfit-workout-day ?

I used to do one of them every Sunday morning. I would pick one of the long metcons from the previous week and crank it out at the local high school track. Usually I had to bring some gear with me, but I enjoyed working out there. Of course people would give me weird looks, but the fact that they were watching made me push hard.

The worst one I saw was 50 pullups run 1 mile, 50 pushups run 1 mile, 50 squats run 1 mile, 50 burpees run 1 mile. This was done with a ruck sack with 25 pound in it. That workout was not fun.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

NSC WOD comes from US Tactical which is a CF Affiliate in Encinitas, CA. They have a bias toward endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forbes View Post
The worst one I saw was 50 pullups run 1 mile, 50 pushups run 1 mile, 50 squats run 1 mile, 50 burpees run 1 mile. This was done with a ruck sack with 25 pound in it. That workout was not fun.

I did that a few months back. That was brutal.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Robert Gonzalez

Profile:

Aside from the pullups, I thought the Running Angie (Angie broken up with mile run inbetween each calisthenic) and Murph are much worse than that one.

Definitely worth trying in my opinion. I use both the Crossfit WOD and the Navy SEAL WOD. SEAL WOD is better towards endurance as compared to this site in my opinion. Plus they have some extra named workouts that SUCK. It's awesome.

They even combine Fran with running and another 21-15-9 exercise all in the same workout.

Edit: And now I realize this is from a while ago, my bad.

Last edited by Robert Gonzalez : 08-07-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Coach Ord, the Coach who creates the WODs for www.navyseals.com (wfs) had this to say in regards to the method behind the madness of the workouts:
Quote:
CrossFit is designed to be broad, general, and inclusive. Read CrossFit founder Greg Glassman's article "What is Fitness?" for more specific information. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

There are a lot of questions within the NavySEALs.com comunity, as well as the CrossFit community at large, on how the NSC WODs are set up.

I say what I always say: It's about stimulus and response.

I define 'stimulus' as your exercise, recovery, and nutrition regimen. 'Response' is your body's natural adaptation to that stimulus. The body of the olympic weightlifter and sprinter are vastly different because it takes unique skill sets to be proficient in one or the other. If you are training for BUD/S by getting your Snatch up to 225lbs, without working on running and swimming, you will be big and strong when you get to BUD/S, and when you leave 2-3 days later.

To figure out what the 'stimulus' should be for you:

Step 1 - Define your objective.

If you're training for BUD/S with the expectation of making it through, there are a few things that are important right out of the gate:
a) You can run fast.....forever.
b) You can swim fast, with and without fins....forever.
c) You have developed enough strength to move your body and a little additional weight around....forever.
d) You have pushed your body and mind to their limits often enough that it is not a new feeling.

The point is that in order to define your objectives you must know what kind of training will be best for achieving them.

Step 2 - Train for your objective.

The standard WODs at NSC are tailored, for the most part, for those that are training for SOF pipelines. There is an inordinate amount of running when compared to many other CrossFit programs, for example. A subscription to the NSC Virtual Coach also provides an additional WOD with BUD/S prep workouts that include swimming, running, and grinder PT. For the individual preparing for a SOF pipeline, this is invaluable.

Step 3 - Think for yourself.

I've seen guys get so caught up in the CrossFit weight training days that they completely lost sight of their objective from the standpoint of staying true to their stimulus strategy. One guy gets bigger every time I see him, and yet complains about not being able to run like he wants to.

My answer to him is: Stop working so hard on the weight training days. You can still do them, but instead of going up so far in the weight, do more reps at less weight, and run 400 meters in between each set.

Is this answer right for everyone? No. But I think most of you are smart enough to understand what I'm talking about, and I urge you to look at yourself and your training from the standpoint of where you are in relation to achieving your objectives. If you're not training right, it's time to get things straightened out. If you need help with that, look into the Live Coaching Program, where you will not simply be fed a canned program, you will be taught how to most effectively optimize a program for your personal success.

Conclusion
It has been said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that: "He who has no goal will certainly achieve it."

So set your sights high, learn everything you can, and then like a tactician, train with intelligence to achieve your goal.

Hoo-Yah!!
The actual thread can be found here: http://www.navyseals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157300 (wfs)