CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Other Certs?

So I've just finished level 1 and am considering taking on a few clients on a personal training basis (then opening a box down the road). I've seen other threads saying it's difficult to get insurance with just CF. If so, what other Cert ie: ACE, NCSF, etc. is the best compliment to CF, without being too time intensive?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Sara Fleming

Profile:
Re: Other Certs?

I'm an ISSA certified trainer. I'd recommend it. They just got their final accreditation through the DETC which is through the US Department of Education. Way better than the NCAA accreditation of most PT organizations. http://www.issaonline.edu (wfs)

The curriculum is broad and includes special populations. If you read the whole textbook, you'll find many of the theoretical principles that Crossfit is based on. The basic certification is focused on safety so you're not going to find anything mind-blowing, but it covers all the basics. The exam can be done either at their seminar or at home, but it is part multiple choice and has a written component containing essays and case studies.

There are other very good training organizations out there, but for time and convenience, the ISSA course is top notch in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Jordan Wright

Profile:

Ya Eric I did some research and ISSA seems to be the way to go. I know when I have a little more time and cash I will be taking it as well. I know a good PT friend of mine does have ACE and she really liked it. I believe CFHQ has it's own coop insurance program you can no buy into. I know I will be purchasing it when I affiliate.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Eric - are you looking for a cert to get cheaper insurance or one to give you the knowledge to train people?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Ideally both...
On the one hand I a believe in CF and will be focusing on these concepts so wonder how much I will gain from one of the other orgs. On the other hand, I am open to new info and appreciate that any new information will add to my bag of tricks. I am fairly limited in time these days, so it is something to evaluate and find a balance.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

My experience with my certifications before CrossFit...

When I first got into training, I certified through ISSA, but it was nothing more than a piece of paper in my opinion - I went to the seminar, took the test, and at the end, the instructor took my exam from me, and immediately wrote "PASSED" across the top without even glancing at any of my answers. This was quite a slap in the face to me at the time as I had taken great lengths to study/prepare, and the guy said he passed me because he "could tell I had the right personality". Granted, that was one guy, and it was several years ago, so perhaps it was just an anomaly, but I let that certification lapse.

Instead I became certfied as a CSCS through the NSCA, which I felt was a more credible certification, and had an examination procedure that didn't undermine that credibility. But it is lacking in any hands-on training component (at least the ISSA seminar had a half day at the gym, but other than squats, it all focused on isolation exercises). You used to have to travel on specific exam dates scheduled far in advance to take the CSCS test (kinda like the CrossFit certs, lol), but now they have computerized the test and you can take it at a number of independent proctored locations and schedule it 2 days out.

Since discovering CrossFit, I only renewed my CSCS certification because (1) it only costs $45 every 3 years to do so (plus the cost of CEUs, which I would most likely pay for anyway cuz I'm a knowledge junkie ), and (2) they offer liability insurance to their certified professionals.

But once the CrossFit Risk Retention Group Insurance is off the ground, that may change!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i would second everything Kristie has said
Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Jen Lilienstein

Profile:

Dear Kristie and Jason,

While it is entirely possible that what you described above happened to you, rest assured if this type of behavior had been reported to our home office, the Board would have not allowed the professor to continue teaching for ISSA.

Since the early part of 2000, all ISSA seminar examinations are graded independently--not by the professor--and this is ISSA's standard protocol today. Additionally, over the course of the past 3 years, we've brought all of our certification courses into alignment with standards required by the U.S. Department of Education, without which we would not have received DETC accredtation this January. In fact, we were required to meet the following standards in order to earn a DETC accreditation and assure our students, the fitness industry, and the general public that we, as a distance education provider and certification body:

1) have met the performance standards of the US Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation;
2) provide the quality of education we claim;
3) operate on a sound financial basis;
4) have approved programs of study, qualified instructors, adequate facilities and equipment;
5) utilize effective recruitment and admission policies; and
6) advertise our courses truthfully.

We take pride in having been able to provide high quality--and now nationally accredited--educational and certification programs to over 125,000 people in 85 countries since 1988 and are continually looking for and implementing ways to raise the bar with regard to fitness education not only within our own organization, but for the industry as a whole. Please feel free to contact me personally anytime (I've listed my email address below). We take both criticism and recommendations for improvements from our students and alumni very seriously and are dedicated to their success.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Jen Lilienstein
Director of Sales & Marketing
International Sports Sciences Association
jlilienstein@issaonline.edu
+ + + + + +
Invested in the
Success of our
Students and
Alumni
Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Kristin & Jason - agree with you both.

Here's my criteria about a worthy certification that I'd like myself to go to or my trainers:
1. Is it going to teach them (me) the proper basic movements: Squat, Deadlift, Press, Front Squat, Overhead Squat, Push Press, Push Jerk?

2. Is it going to teach the foundations or better yet - help master the Olympic lifts and derivatives: Snatch, C&J, Hang/Power/Squat Snatch & Clean plus assistance and skill transfer moves?

3. Is it going to teach the basic gymnastics - handstands, pull-ups, kip (not just kipping pull-up, but kip to support, kip off the floor etc), rolls, muscle-ups, etc?

4. Is it going to teach the basics of nutrition: Paleo, Gluten-intolerance, Hyperinsulinemia & Metabolic Syndrome?

5. Is it hands on, with instructors living the art and honing their skills?

6. Is it going to avoid giving me a bunch of useless BS?

No other cert outside CrossFit will provide you with necessary knowledge for running/coaching CrossFit. You can learn bits and pieces (USA Weightlifting, Powerlifting - love the Dave Tate videos, Gymnastics/Tumbling from local coaches) but ISSA, NSCA, ACSM, ACE or any other Certs are just not the answer.

Of course I'm biased and can be wrong, so take it for what it's worth.

P.S. Here's the World of ISSA - Globo trainer coaching 10 min treadmill warm-up:
http://www.issaonline.com/includes/f...tification.jpg (WFS)

And here's what we're all about ladies and gentlemen:
CrossFit Filfest "The Evolution" - CF by Overload

P.S.
Quote:
1) have met the performance standards of the US Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation;
Not sure if that actually gives you more credibility Jen

Last edited by Leonid Soubbotine : 04-23-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: More reasonable reply.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Leonid - Thanks, and keep in mind that I am fully committed to the CF way.
Does anyone have any experience with AFA (AFAA)?
And let's simplify my original question.
How can I quickly and economically get a million dollars in liability insurance to be a personal trainer?