CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Mick Byrne

Profile:
Programme for the Globo?

Hi,

I have recently started working for the Darkside (my local Globo).

What kind of program should I give new clients? Obviously it would be great to get them Crossfitting but Its not possible.

Normally their programs are written on a card and they do 30 mins chronic cardio and then 30 mins using the "resistance machines". I want to change this so they actually get some success.

I just gave my first program out and it was basically some interval training (I said "no sweat - no success") and some ideas from Starting Strength:
Squat - Deadlift - Bench, low reps till failure ("no overload - no adaptation").
Then some back extensions and plank work.

What do you think? I suspect he will get bored of it pretty quickly but I was not sure what else I could give him, its pretty controversial not giving him the usual chronic cardio/resistance but I really want new members to succeed.

I think I may lose my job if I told them to buy some weights, clear out the garage and logon to Crossfit.com!

Later,

Mick
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Programme for the Globo?

Without knowing how your gym is set up or what you can or cannot do at your gym, it is impossible to give you any tips.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I'm hoping to start work at a globo soon. And I have to say, it really depends on the individual. I don't know what the person you programmed for is like, what their goals are, etc.

Wherever you wind up, you need to take peoples' goals into consideration. Failing to do so will only guarantee that you lose clients.

Personally, I always try find out what a person's goal is exactly, and work around that. Someone looking to get strong is someone different from someone who has been referred by a doctor because they need to lose weight or suffer the consequences.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I'm hoping to start work at a globo soon. And I have to say, it really depends on the individual. I don't know what the person you programmed for is like, what their goals are, etc.

Wherever you wind up, you need to take peoples' goals into consideration. Failing to do so will only guarantee that you lose clients.

Personally, I always try find out what a person's goal is exactly, and work around that. Someone looking to get strong is someone different from someone who has been referred by a doctor because they need to lose weight or suffer the consequences.
Exactly. Talk to them and meet their goals. If they want to run a marathon, then SS probably isn't going to help them as much as LSD.

It really depends on equipment and how much room your boss will give you on the 30min cardio / 30min resistance template. If you have no wiggle room, Crossfit Endurance does a great job providing sport specific (run,bike,row) workouts that could be given as cardio. Then you can spend the resistance time teaching proper lifts and run something like Wendler or SS for them.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Clients Goals are key for figuring out what to do programming wise and 2nd would be the time they have available to train.

For most wanting balanced fitness, whatever the heck that means, I'd do the following:

Have a basic strength program--2-4 days a week
Have a conditioning program--2-3 days a week, maybe 4 if their goals are really aiming for conditiong over strength
Work on mobility/flexilibyt in each session
Spend some time working on a weakness at each session.

Good basic structure for strength training programs are Wendler, Westside and for newbies Starting Strength is good.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Been said already but you have to know what they want (or think they want).

Outline a program that fits around those goals.
Teach them about proper nutrition to help meet those goals.

You going to be coaching through the workouts?
How often will they work with you?

I like taking measurements + pics to serve as points from where they started and where they end up after a set time.

Everything is based around them, their goals, commitment and what you can provide to help them succeed

Gluck!

Last edited by Shawn M Wilson : 11-04-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Mick Byrne

Profile:

Most of them just want to "Get Fit". Anyone who has specific goals are easy to sort out.

I just hate seeing people trying to "Get Fit" talking on the stepper for 20 mins and not even sweating. The gyms has a few banks of Cardio machines rowers, treadmills, bikes, steppers, cross trainers surrounded by resistance machines.

One Jones machine and a few free weights, mainly dumbells.

I get an hour to induct the clients then they are on their own.

Mick
Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Mick Byrne

Profile:

Nutrition wise I tell them to just eat plants and animals, no processed rubbish.

I weigh them and take their BP, HR.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It would depend on their needs.

I wouldn't do 30m of slow state cardio. If they want to do it outside of your personal training time, fine. I would tell them not to do it before your sessions. 10 or 15m to warmup, fine. If they want to do another 20-30 afterwards, sure. I wouldn't want to stand and watch them for 20m on a ****ing treadmill or bike, elliptical or cross country skiing things.

20 minutes of rowing maybe.

FitnessTogether uses 10m before session and 20m after if I remember.

Due to the 1 hour format, you probably need to focus on efficiency. So not so much downtime unless they really need it. Look at what Eric Cressey does between heavy sets for instance. Supersets or working something different in between ( pullups or dips after squats as an example ).

When dealing with a beginner they might not really be hitting the lifts with enough weight to be really fatigued after a set. I'm not advocating for having them do a set when they are though.

Finishing it up with some sort of circuit is probably doable. Push presses, pushups, jumps, rowing, jumprope, KB/DB/Barbell swings or complexes.

However, for many clients, especially those new to training I wouldn't do the same in, same out 2-3x a week changing it up. Alternating an A or B workout.

It sort of depends on what they need when getting specific though.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #10
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Byrne View Post
I get an hour to induct the clients then they are on their own.
And therein lies the eternal problem with the globos.

The first hour would have been best spent giving him a list of books he absolutely MUST read.