CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Benji Whitehead

Profile:
Wife Squat = Frustration

Teaching/coaching your spouse is the ultimate test of your love!

http://youtu.be/ZUfkoM-2wyI (safe link, dirty garage)

Any help would be appreciated. She's definitely picked up my weird habit of overextending at the top. Now we'll both have to stop doing that! I know she's not going back on her heels enough and her knees are in front of her toes and sometimes they cave in at the bottom. Also, she points her toes WAY out. If I don't call her out on it they get pointed out almost perpindicular to each other. She's frustrated that she can't get back/down/etc and willing to learn. I'm not smart enough to know what she needs to work on flexibilty-wise to get there. She did goblet squats to a box and they looked much better than these. She said her lower back was tight/hurting when she did those correctly.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Wife Squat = Frustration

How squishy are her shoes?

You might actually have her squat to a higher box at first and really have her sit back, with maybe just the bar. Once she can master that while pushing her knees out might help. I had some buddies that started squatting very forward and having them sit to a higher box for a few reps, then take it down an inch ever set really gave them the feel of what they need to do.

The final thing, how much is she pushing out her knees? If she isn't that might contribute to her foot collapsing in. I like to feel my squat on my heels and outsides of my feet.

If you have a mini band you might want to put that around her knees for some light or goblet squats to get the feel of external rotation.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Great call on the band, we call them "monster walks"? You have wide feet, pulling the band apart, but make sure your toes point forward as you walk. You learn the feel, then, of pulling the band apart by externally rotating the hips, which is not the same as "turning your toes out."

Other major point is, she appears to be paying no attention to her core, and butt winking at the bottom. Tell her not to just have the bar laying across her shoulders. Grab it with the hands, tighten the scapula, like you're trying to bend the bar downward across the shoulders. That will usually led to a tighter, flatter back, and allow her to sit into the heels more.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Get rid of the box.

Your wife has the longest femur vs shin I've ever seen. Gonna suck to get good at squatting with that disadvantage. Are you trying to get her doing HBBS or LBBS?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Get rid of the box.

Your wife has the longest femur vs shin I've ever seen. Gonna suck to get good at squatting with that disadvantage. Are you trying to get her doing HBBS or LBBS?
Either, really. Any squat is better than no squat. She's comfortable on goblet squats. Wrist flexibility kills her on front squats. What do you mean by "gonna suck to get good at squatting with that disadvantage?". She's not interested in being a monster but I know she has more strength in her than she lets out when she squats. What specifically should she work on given her femur vs. shin length? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

So off the start, if your wife isn't interested in this, don't make her. I can speak from experience that trying to push a weightlifting style on someone who simply isn't interested leads nowhere but to personal frustration.

Now having said that, let's assume your wife is gung-ho about squatting. If she has good knees and is interested in Olympic lifting, HBBS is going to transfer more applicably. If that's the case, ditch the box and start squatting past parallel. If she has no interest in competitive Crossfit or Olympic lifting, LBBS is probably smarter (I think Chris Mason would agree). In which case, other people (specifically Chris) know way more in that arena than I do. But the box without a box squat isn't going to do anything in either case.

Plenty of threads about squat cycles to get on a good program for her. And the femur issue isn't something you can work around. Just gotta squat.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
So off the start, if your wife isn't interested in this, don't make her. I can speak from experience that trying to push a weightlifting style on someone who simply isn't interested leads nowhere but to personal frustration.

Now having said that, let's assume your wife is gung-ho about squatting. If she has good knees and is interested in Olympic lifting, HBBS is going to transfer more applicably. If that's the case, ditch the box and start squatting past parallel. If she has no interest in competitive Crossfit or Olympic lifting, LBBS is probably smarter (I think Chris Mason would agree). In which case, other people (specifically Chris) know way more in that arena than I do. But the box without a box squat isn't going to do anything in either case.

Plenty of threads about squat cycles to get on a good program for her. And the femur issue isn't something you can work around. Just gotta squat.
She's interested in it. I'm not making her do anything. She wants to be stronger and have a cute butt. No oly/power/CF interests. Her first goal was to do pullups. She can do five now. Started out not able to hold her weight on the bar.

Are there any setup tips, foot width/positioning, or other stuff that will be different for her because of her femur length? Is it unrealistic to think that her shins should be close to vertical or that her knees shouldn't go much past her toes? Any certain area that needs more flexibility, etc? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

And, yes, her legs are deceptively long and of odd proportion. Not in a bad way....just saying.....it's almost like, when her knees bend, where they are in the pant leg is surprising, LOL.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Adam Morden

Profile:

Here are a few ideas that might help.

Questions:
1) can she squat with weight on her heels and knees out and locked core without weight?

2) has she tried squating barefoot or in lifting shoes rather than what look to be nike frees?

3) how strong is her DL in comparison - it looks like she doesn't trust her hamstrings and/or they are really tight so she is struggling with mobility at the bottom

Ideas:
1) Foam roll/ lacrosse ball the crap out of her hamstrings, adductors and glutes

2) try a unweighted squat to a box with her feet faced forward and toes against a wall. Have her move her hips back first and push her knees out.

3) try the same with a bench placed across the front of her knees so she can't push them forward very far before she touches the bench.

4) like was mentioned before a higher box and a band or even just a piece of string in a loop that she holds at her knees by pushing out.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Get rid of those shoes. Either go barefoot or get something with a solid base.

Her toes are out a tad much but it could be a lot worse.

More weight on the bar and she won't do that overextension or just tell her to squat to a stand. Squat down, stand up. You don't have to show that your hips are open like a deadlift in CF so you don't get no repped.

Long legs are awesome.

Box is unnecessary unless she needs to touch something to remind her of depth.