CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Greg Warren

Profile:
Back squat form check

I'm taking a month off from my affiliate while I let my bicep tendinosis heal up, so I don't have the normal feedback from a coach while I'm working out in my Globo Gym. It feels (and looks) like I'm tipping forward a little when I'm coming out of the hole on my back squat. I took two videos of two separate sets from different angles and would love to hear some feedback. I shot the videos in slow on on my iPhone, and apparently they uploaded that way to YouTube too, but hopefully that's more helpful than hurtful. I just can't figure out what I may be doing wrong to cause myself to tip forward. I'm using 185lbs in the video, and my 1RM is 300.

Side View
http://youtu.be/J-dY8qWoxd4?t=59s (WFS)

Angled back view
http://youtu.be/4EEUMtqboU8?t=44s (WFS)

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Back squat form check

Squats look fine to me!! Maybe a slight tip forward, probably caused by not staying tight when you change directions and start coming up. Try this: bring your hands in closer on the bar and keep your elbows pointed down, upper back tight. This should fix this minor problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
Squats look fine to me!! Maybe a slight tip forward, probably caused by not staying tight when you change directions and start coming up. Try this: bring your hands in closer on the bar and keep your elbows pointed down, upper back tight. This should fix this minor problem.
Thanks Keith! I've been trying to work through mobility issues in my shoulders that make it painful at times to keep my arms in during back squats. I'll work on the elbows down & making sure to keep my back tight.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Good depth, knees track nicely, and solid midline, though overall I think your weight is still a bit more forward (knees too far over toes) than I would like. I can see your left heel starting to come off the ground as you descend into the bottom.

I'd like to see more of your weight in your heels and more of the the lift borne by the hamstrings. Work on sending the hips backwards more at the start of the lift and drive knees outward to accomodate the depth and weight. It will also allow you to keep your torso more upright.

Also, drive your chest up as you come up from the bottom to keep from doing a good morning type movement.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

They look pretty solid.

And I agree with Ari. Feet need to be stuck to the ground and your knees collapse in just a tad.

Have you tried using a closer bar grip? A wider grip is more comforting for the shoulder, but a narrower grip may help you lock the bar on your back as needed. Looking at the slow mo video, it appeared solid on your back.

How'd you do the slow mo?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
How'd you do the slow mo?
iPhone 5s has Slow Motion as an option under the stock camera app. Before you export it, you can set the video to show regular speed up to a certain point, then be slow motion during a certain time frame if you want, and then speed back up at the end. If you upload it directly to YouTube, the original slow mo format is preserved.

More squats tonight, so I'll try with a lighter weight to focus on keeping my knees back and the elbows straight down. I'll give it a try on keeping my hands in closer, but as I said above, there are times when there's too much pain in the shoulder from doing that.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Warren View Post
iPhone 5s has Slow Motion as an option under the stock camera app. Before you export it, you can set the video to show regular speed up to a certain point, then be slow motion during a certain time frame if you want, and then speed back up at the end. If you upload it directly to YouTube, the original slow mo format is preserved.

More squats tonight, so I'll try with a lighter weight to focus on keeping my knees back and the elbows straight down. I'll give it a try on keeping my hands in closer, but as I said above, there are times when there's too much pain in the shoulder from doing that.

Thanks again everyone!
Knees back and high bar squat run counter to each other. If you're high bar squatting, just let the knees track over the toes, but don't actively try and keep them back. Since you have shoulder problems, just bring in your grip to a comfortable place and tight up the upper back more.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Greg Warren

Profile:

Happy to report that I took you guys' advice tonight and made sure to keep my upper back tight. I did notice on a few reps that I was getting a little loose with it, and tipping forward. I was able to keep my hands in closer too. Anyway, result was a 15lb PR at 315, followed by 2 reps EMOM for 10 min @ 250. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Derek Bujan

Profile:

Looks a little like a Powerlifting squat. Wide Stance, wide grip and bar sitting lower on your back.

That's why at the bottom position your hips fly up and your shoulders fall forward (kinda like a deadlift squat). This is a great way to move bigger numbers but if you are serious about crossfit this will negatively affect your Weightlifting performance in the Snatch especially.

Try a little more narrow stance, shorten your grip so your elbows are facing down instead od back and focus on keeping an upright torso. Your number will go down at first but in a month or so you will get comfortable with the position, you will be able to hit bottom position more easily and it will transfer over to your cleans and snatches, as well as every other crossfit movement (Thruster, wall ball, OHS, walking lunges)

Note: this is not a LB vs HB debate I promise you.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Outside of the wide grip, it doesn't seem like a super powerlifting squat.

The bar isn't that low and his stance is not really wide. If he brought his stance in, I don't know if it would be easy for him to get his pelvis through his hips.