CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Eric Hurt

Profile:
Squat and snatch form check

Finally started working out in my home gym and no longer have coaching, so I figured I'd need to post here from time to time. Can anyone please help me with my form on the videos belo? Wfs

I know on the snatches my butt is shooting up early. This is probably causing the bar to travel in an bounce of my hips and then away from my body. I see that I am having to catch the bar forward instead of on my heels. How do I fix this?

For the squats I am really trying to activate the hamstrings and glutes by sending my hips way back - am I doing this correctly?

Snatch
http://youtu.be/AosJt9pVxPc
Snatch miss
http://youtu.be/Hst6taah9_0
Front/back squat
http://youtu.be/guuyO8h0Ux0

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Squat and snatch form check

On the snatch, get your head through. Your torso should be ever so slightly inclined with chest and head up, with the bar lined up over the back of your head.

Squats: STOP sitting back!! That is for low bar squats!! For high bar squats, you should be sitting DOWN. Don't think where to break first, just sit down and allow your knees to travel forward in line with your toes!!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think if your goal is general fitness, they way you are back squatting is fine. For the front squat, you don't need to drive the hips back as much.

Now, if you want your squat to really support the oly lifts, then you probably don't need to push the hips back as much. If you then have an oly focus, to hit the posterior change choose some good pulls and assistance work to hit it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Eric Hurt

Profile:

Thanks for the tips on squatting. I was told by my old coach to try and activate the hams and glutes more while squatting so I could have a more powerful squat, but my real goal is to have this carry over to other crossfit and weightlifting movements like thrusters, cleans, snatches, etc, so I believe I want to squat more down and less back with the hips.

Does anyone have suggestions for why I am losing the snatches forward? Is it the bouncing bar path or is it because I'm not getting my head through like Keith suggested?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Personally, I think your snatches look pretty darn good - good speed, good hip extension on the 2nd pull, and good upright torso on the catch.

If anything, you could work on a bit more shoulder mobility to get the bar in a slightly better overhead position and in line with the midline of your foot. And you can work on keeping your hips from rising as early in the first pull. It's certainly not egregious, and I'm being a bit nitpicky, but just something to help make even more lifts.

Overall, your lifts look quite good. My recommendation would be to work on OHS's and snatch balances to dial in the right overhead position and increase comfort level and midline stability holding the bar at the bottom.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

Snatch: Get shoulders more forward in the start position, stay over longer, and keep the back tight all the way through the lift. Be more aggressive going under the bar. Your bottom position is good, needs more stability so work snatch balance/drop snatch.

Squat: Drop your hips in between your feet, keep the back tight, keep the upper body relaxed.