CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Jay Morgan

Profile:
Drop-In Etiquette

What's up guys. I travel a lot for both work and leisure, and since coming to crossfit have really enjoyed making "drop-ins" a part of my travels. has left me impressed with the sense of community that comes from being a crossfitter, no matter how far away from home you find yourself. At my home box, we always go out of our way to meet new people, especially drop-ins.

Anyway, I'd like to get people to share some do's and dont's for dropping into a new box while out of town, maybe share some good experiences or even some horror stories.

I'll get the ball rolling by suggesting SHOWING UP EARLY...

This afternoon I was asked to leave a box in Central Florida (don't want to snitch but it sounds a lot like Grossfit Cainesville), after getting lost on the way to the gym and walking in at 3:05 for a 3:00 WOD. I apologized for being a little late, explained I got lost and introduced myself as an experienced crossfitter. There were 2 other clients in the gym, both of whom looked as if they'd require little supervision for this WOD (Barbara). The trainer looked me in the eye and told me they were about to start and that I'd have to come back for the next class in an hour and a half (the look of confusion/WTF?!? on my face must have been palpable). As I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed the trainer looking very busy, taking pictures of the 2 guys doing the workout. Needless to say, I won't be showing up at that box again... ever.

This was by far the most disappointing experience I've had while traveling as a crossfitter.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Drop-In Etiquette

I've been in several box's as a drop in. At a few, I was asked to demonstrate proper technique for the lifts involved before I was allowed to participate. A few others. Twice I showed up with a current member who vouched for me and there was no issue.

At all of them, after the class, I was recognized as "The Cat Guy"

I always buy a t-shirt.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Honestly, as an affiliate owner, that's a tough situation. We get quite a few drop-ins as we are close to Disneyland. Luckily for us, they always let us know in advance. I still like to talk to them for a couple minutes when they arrive, have them sign our waiver, etc. That would put me in a tough position if you showed up after class had started.

Every once in a while we get the visitor that has been "CF'ing for a year" and they are a total disaster. I end up working with them more than my own members (for free).

I`m not saying they did the right thing, but try looking at it from their point of view.

Feel free to stop by next time you are in SoCal (on time).

Last edited by Ryan Hoegner : 09-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Terry Bruce

Profile:

I have been to 2 different CrossFit boxes other than my owna dn have to say that I was treated very well by both(CrossFit Confluence-Pittsburg and CrossFit Adaptation-Arlington). The only thing I would say about going elsewhere is be early as someone else said. Thats huge. I would have given the "are you serious bro?" if the guy would have turned me away after showing up 8 minutes late because we usually sit around and bs at our box and start about 10-15 after the start time so it wouldnt be a big deal but theres no way in hell I would tell a guy "youll have to come back" ...I'd figure something out.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morgan View Post
As I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed the trainer looking very busy, taking pictures of the 2 guys doing the workout.

All I can say is LOL at that.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
All I can say is LOL at that.
Why is taking photos of the members mid-workout funny?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Because you should be coaching them. Video of members as a coaching tool is a great idea. If I go to an affiliate, I'm paying for the coaching and the programming, not to be a part of a photo shoot.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
Why is taking photos of the members mid-workout funny?
Because the trainer was "too busy" to include a visiting CF'er in that hour's workout. Where busy == taking pics of a very small CF class (2 ppl!).
Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Jay Morgan

Profile:

Thought I would add a little to this...

Shortly after posting this thread I showed up (early) to the other CF box in Gainesville and was warmly greeted by the owner and her husband. A hellacious fury of chest-to-bar pullups, ring push-ups and 135# front squats ensued. Awesome.

Shortly after the Games this year I dropped by Crossfit Omaha and had another awesome experience. One of their trainers (his name escapes me) went over some finer points of my deadlift set-up and some mental cues for the lift... ended up boosting my 1RM by 15#. Afterward I tried to pay the drop-in fee but he wouldn't take it, insisting that he'd hit up my gym if he's ever in my area. Good sh*t.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Honestly, as an affiliate owner, that's a tough situation. We get quite a few drop-ins as we are close to Disneyland. Luckily for us, they always let us know in advance. I still like to talk to them for a couple minutes when they arrive, have them sign our waiver, etc. That would put me in a tough position if you showed up after class had started.

Every once in a while we get the visitor that has been "CF'ing for a year" and they are a total disaster. I end up working with them more than my own members (for free).

I`m not saying they did the right thing, but try looking at it from their point of view.

Feel free to stop by next time you are in SoCal (on time).
This.
If my class is already in the warmup and going and someone shows up late, I'm not too keen on having to stop what I'm doing (leading class) to make sure the newcomer has signed a waiver and integrate them into the class.
It's not personal, it's just how the box is run.