CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Joshua Refenes

Profile:
Death by Pull-ups, different approach?

I'm bored on a Thursday afternoon, waiting to get out of work and over to my affiliate for today's WOD, and I started thinking about how to approach it.

Not sure if this would provide any significant benefit in doing the WOD, but what if you approached doing this WOD the following way? Cluster pull-ups around the "turnover" points between rounds. This way you'll get near double the rest between rounds, allthough the number of pull-ups you do every time you grab the bar will be higher.

Round 1+2: Do 3 consecutive pull-ups, but don't start until there's about 3-4 seconds left in Round 1.

Round 3+4: Do 7 pull-ups consectively, except don't start your pull-ups until there's 9-12 seconds left on the clock in Round 3.

Round 5+6: Do 11 consecutive pull-ups, starting with about 15-20 seconds left in Round 5.

Granted, this will get a lot harder as you get further and further into the WOD, unless you're able to crank out high numbers of consecutive pull-ups. You're basically increasing the number of pull-ups you do every time you jump on the bar, but you're doubling your rest-time between pull-up sessinos. There's also a potential for early failure if you're not able to figure out the amount of time you need at the end of a round to do the pull-ups required for that round.

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Death by Pull-ups, different approach?

I think that this method could be good for the beginning... but when you get closer to your half-way point of endurance, you might want to start pushing it toward a "normal" schedule by doing them right on the minute.

I think you'd burn out earlier than normal doing it 100% like you described.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

So basically what your proposing is more pullups per round--and they have to be consecutive--but 2 minute rounds instead of 1 minute, right? Seems reasonable. I wonder how many pullups you would crank out with this style vs the conventional.

Another death by pullup alternative that I think would be interesting would be to have ascending sets, but fixed rest time, so:
1 pu, 1 min rest, 2 pu, 1 min rest, 3 pu, 1 min rest, and so on, until you couldn't complete the reps without letting go of the bar.

The rest timer would start as soon as you finished your last rep. I guess the first part would be really boring, but I think the later part would be a better workout.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
Michael Henry

Profile:

I've done the ladder in doubles before. Two, then 4, then 6, etc. Increasing the rest time would probably be beneficial to this way. Good idea.