CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
Scott Edgins

Profile:
hi everyone i am new to crossfit and i have to say i am very excited about crossfit, what it represents and what it will do with a little descipline. my question is i dont have a garage to build a home gym, but i have a carport you could fit two cars in that is open to the outside elements on two sides. will this be a problem if i put a nice bench and o-bar and weights outside. another thing, i dont have a place to really do pull ups or use power rings so i thought about builing a pull up bar in back yard. as long as the bar is kinda high could i still use power rings to do dips, pull ups, etc? one last thing, i am a student on a budget and would like to minimize to as little equipment as possible. i just purchased some power elite rings :-) jump rope (speed rope) and made a medicine ball by pouring sand in a basketball. is this adequate or do i really need to invest in the bench and weights? sorry this is so long
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Welcome. I would get some weights (bumpers) and figure out a squat rack of some sort. Search the board for some ideas that are there. Sounds like you have a good deal going. I don't think a bench is critical. I would maybe keep the barbell inside when you are done. SC does get humid and no one likes a rusty bar:happy:.

Joe
Old 03-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Scott Edgins

Profile:
thanks alot for the info:happy:
Old 03-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
Check out the Vulcan Squat racks from www.IronMind.com. They are available with dip handles. While they can handle 1500lbs., the whole assembly weighs about 60lbs; perfect for keeping them inside and away from thieves and cars.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Jason Billows

Profile:
Scott, the long and the short of it is that you need very little equipment to do CF. Find a local park and I'm sure there will be equipment for doing pull ups and dips. Your medicine ball will come in very handy. For economical alternatives to equipment, search the forums. You'll probably find that common recomendations for people on a budget are paralettes and home made sandbags. Add those to your equipment and you'll be able to do a lot of stuff.

Of course equipment makes some of the exercises easier/possible. Doing the O lifts requires a bar and weights, but I know that many people substitute dumbbells to get them by until they can afford bumpers.