CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:
Video Tour of Freund Gym

Some of you have asked about my home gym and I promised to take a video or two of it. It has taken a while, and my video and narration skills leave a lot to be desired, but here it is...

I apologize if you get an upset stomach from watching the video. I twisted the camera a lot to try to get a better picture, and so there is a lot of rotating from a side view to an upright view. I will know better next time, but it took so dang long to upload the video into YouTube that I just went with what I had.

Please keep in mind a couple of things as you check out my gym - (i) I do understand that it is incredibly stupid overkill so, no, I cannot justify it economically by any means, (ii) I would not get some of the equipment if I were to do it all over again, and (iii) I am 47 and have had a successful career and have chosen to spend too much money on one of my passions. Other people buy fancy cars or vacation homes, I build a silly gym in my house .

Some particulars to frame the videos and narration:
  • I built this house about 7 years ago, with an 800+ sq foot area dedicated to a gym
  • Next to the gym, across from the back stairs, is my "gym bathroom"
  • My equipment is mostly by Samson (located in New Mexico) and is very customized
  • IMHO, after lots of research, Samson uses the highest quality components in their equipment
  • I use my power rack, lifting platform, dual cable columns, chin/dip, and GHR all the time; the other equipment, not so much
  • All of the equipment would not fit in the gym, so I have a giant Leg Press and Waterrower and Airdyne in my upstairs gallery
  • I love to lift outdoors, so I have "outdoor" equipment stored in an extra bay in my garage that I pull out on nice days
Let me start with an overview of the gym, as shown in this (WFS) video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcUXI5P-rS8 (Gym Overview)

I designed the subfloor and joist structure (I have a BS in Mech Eng) to handle a heavy load, but this is pushing it. I had to put the heaviest items (dumbbells, kettlebells, rack, pillar system) over load-bearing walls, but I can still get some floor movement when I drop a heavy clean.

Next, I would like to show you my rack. I am really not exaggerating all that much when I say it is probably the world's heaviest/stoutest rack. Samson already makes a great rack, and this is a highly customized version. It is a bit over 10' tall and without any plates on it weighs in at almost 1000 lbs. It is 3"x3"x7 ga steel and all posts, top plates, and bottom plates are covered by stainless steel shields. I have every attachment possible for the rack (step up, dip bar, rotating chin handles, external safeties, internal safeties, bar safeties, multiple J-hooks, bottom and top rotating band pegs, dual twist-lock landmines, technique plates...) but find that I mostly just use the basics. If there is anything that I am most proud of, it is this rack. It is huge and beautiful and rock-solid. I also like the way it mounts to my Olympic lifting platform. I have detailed it in this (WFS) video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcUXI5P-rS8 (Samson Power Rack and Olympic Platform)

I really geeked out on the dumbbells, but I HAD TO since Samson has just come up with the coolest pro-style dumbbells I have ever seen. They laser cut the outside disk so that the colored inside disk shows through with your logo. I have dumbbell pairs from 5-125 lbs in 5 lb increments. The dumbbells are shown in this (WFS) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tICIIaJWVRQ (Freund Logo Dumbbells)

I am a big fan of Kettlebells and eventually worked my way up to 3 reps with each hand in the One-arm C&J and the One-arm Snatch with the 48 kg bells. The Kettlebells (and various attachments) along with the Samson GHR are shown in this (WFS) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LZPmCGRB8 (Kettlebells and GHR)

I wanted to get dual cable columns for doing unilateral pushes and pulls at various heights. Samson made me this "Pillar" system that includes the dual cable columns, along with a Row/Pulldown station and a Leg Curl/Extension station. I love doing "standing presses" and "standing rows" with the dual cable columns, but don't really use the other equipment much at all. The Samson Pillar system is detailed in this (WFS) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5F84BA9F0 (Samson Pillar System)

Based on everything that I had read, I wanted to get a Reverse Hyper to help my lower back. Well, it turns out that I really don't like the exercise very much and greatly prefer the GHR. I knew I needed a Chin/Dip station with assist (for the family), but I wanted to design a really cool piece of equipment. This is decidedly overkill (like everything else) but it allows for weighted assist, band assist, no assist, band resistance, weighted resistance. Finally, I felt that it would be a good idea to get a heavy-duty hip belt squat machine to help me load my legs when I didn't want to put a load on my back. It is a very nice piece of equipment, but I find that I mostly just do weighted barbell squats and front squats . This equipment is detailed in this (WFS) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxO9hv-c9bQ (Samson Reverse Hyper, Chin/Dip, Hip Belt Squat)

I wasn't sure I was going to show you my "gym bathroom" since my kids always make fun of it. As is obvious, I use supplements (all legal) to stay as healthy as possible. I also use protein powders pre/post workout. They call it "Dad's drug room" . This room is detailed in this (WFS) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnKPGX-yUmc (Gym Bathroom)

Almost done!!! Some of my equipment would not fit in the "gym" so I had to put it out in our upstairs gallery area, near the back stairs. The Samson Bilateral/Unilateral Leg Press is a thing of beauty, but I just don't use it. I DO use the WaterRower (I love this thing and like it MUCH better than a C2, but that is just personal preference). I also use the Schwinn AirDyne Comp and think that it is the best $-value in the entire gym. Details are shown in this (WFS) video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nudo25y-1o (Samson Leg Press, WaterRower, AirDyne)

Finally, we are on the last video. As I said earlier, I love training outdoors, especially the Olympic lifts. On nice days, I take my kids to the local middle school track and we grab my Rogue bars (men's and women's) and my Rogue Hi-Temp plates to do Litvinov's (ala Dan John). I will be getting a pair of squat stands from Samson in the next few days so that we can do back squats or jerk work when we want. From a cost/benefit perspective, these outdoor bars, plates, and (soon) squat rack are probably my best purchase. Details are shown in this (WFS) video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1EK7b2OXic (Rogue Bars, Collars, and Hi-Temp Bumpers)

I hope you enjoyed my little tour and I didn't put you to sleep. If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Christian Salas

Profile:
Re: Video Tour of Freund Gym

Best. Post. Ever.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Christian Salas

Profile:

One question: I notice there must be some dropping of kettlebells, do you have a dedicated indoor area with a large rubber matt, so you don't damage the wooden floor/lifting platform wooden insert?

Also have you considered covering the entire gym floor with rubber? I know it would be a shame to cover up the nice hardwoods, but still...
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

As I said in your other thread. Holy Hell

Your gym truly is a work of art!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Christian Salas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
. I hope you enjoyed my little tour and I didn't put you to sleep.
Actually this is how I go to sleep almost every night. I have a trick where I put together my "fantasy gym" based on several revolving parameters (budget, space, modify existing etc.). So your gym will I'm sure be integrated into my mind "exercise" at some point!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Salas View Post
One question: I notice there must be some dropping of kettlebells, do you have a dedicated indoor area with a large rubber matt, so you don't damage the wooden floor/lifting platform wooden insert?

Also have you considered covering the entire gym floor with rubber? I know it would be a shame to cover up the nice hardwoods, but still...
Hi Chistian.

Good questions. I actually don't recall ever dropping my kettlebells, but I may be playing it too safe. I do most of my lifts on the platform itself and, if there is any danger of a drop, I lift on the rubber section (3/4" rubber sheet).

One thing I didn't think through very well when I designed the gym was where to do lifts OTHER than on my platform. I got too caught up in designing "the perfect gym with perfect equipment" that I forgot Rule #1 which is THOU MUST LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM. That is part of the reason why the Leg Press, WaterRower, and AirDyne are in the Gallery.

My longer term solution is (gasp) to have TWO gyms . We have a small 110 acre ranch about 10 miles north of the home. I plan on building a nice home on the ranch, complete with a 1200 square foot gym this time, maybe in an outbuilding (kind of like a CrossFit box). I want a minimum of 15-20' ceilings and an outdoor training area adjacent to the gym.

Regarding the rubber flooring, yes I did consider it. However, the floor is too pretty to cover up AND I didn't really leave enough room to DO ANYTHING in the unused areas. So, I will probably leave it like this until I get the ranch home built.

All the best,
brittf
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Salas View Post
Actually this is how I go to sleep almost every night. I have a trick where I put together my "fantasy gym" based on several revolving parameters (budget, space, modify existing etc.). So your gym will I'm sure be integrated into my mind "exercise" at some point!
My God, you sound like me!!!!

You, me, and Jeremy would be a VERY BAD combination ...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I've moved all my equipment around in my gym about 4-5 times now trying to maximize space as well as aesthetic appearance. I guess this is the male equivalent (stereotypically of course) of redecorating a home.

I kinda wanted two platforms:
1) one smaller 4'x6' one just in front of the rack for slower lifts (squats, presses, deads)
2) one larger 8'x8' or 6'x8' near the center for O-lifts
Old 12-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Christian Salas

Profile:

Yes, I would agree, the equipment in your space warrants at least a 1200 sq. foot area. Great idea about taller ceilings, especially if you want to add rings and a rope climb or something.

Do you do anything competitively? OL or track and field? Always good to have as much motivation to get your butt in the gym as possible

Also do you have work out partner(s) or others who use your gym?

Last edited by Christian Salas : 12-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

That brought a tear to my eye....so beautiful.