CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
10 Fitness Domains: Point System?

Obviously, everyone knows what these are:

1. cardiovascular/respiratory endurance
2. stamina
3. strength
4. flexibility
5. power
6. speed
7. agility
8. balance
9. coordination
10. accuracy

*If you don't know what these are, get yourself over to (wfs) http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/04/foundations.tpl and get educated.

I tried poking around the Forum to see if there was anything outlined on a point system or one of those "Across the 10 domains, I rate myself a (number 1-10, 10 being best) for x,y,z."

Reading some of the training logs and comments, some folks can put themselves down for an 8 with power, but a 4 for balance and a 2 for flexibility while others can put themselves down for a 9 with balance, coordination and agility, but stick themselves under stamina as a 5. Mind you, since this is a self-rating thing - most folks are generally harder on themselves and will score themselves lower.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: 10 Fitness Domains: Point System?

By which rubric do we rate 1-10?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
By which rubric do we rate 1-10?
That's a good question and also subjective since if you say on a scale of 1-10, how fit are you versus an athlete who does ______, the numbers could be different. But for this purpose, I'm saying just to judge yourself and be your own critic on how you are versus where you want to be against the 10 domains.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

The scale should probably also be logarithmic, things like this usually are. I wonder if someone could come up with a "crossfit decathlon" type point system to put a function to determine each points value.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Grading 1-5 sounds interesting and could be do-able. But I don't think we'll be able to measure 6-10 in any meaningful way. If you have a test for accuracy or coordination, then people can just get good at the test even if their nervous system sucks. The problem is similar for agility and balance. And if someone can give me a practical definition of crossfit's concept of "speed," then we can think about that too.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Grading 1-5 sounds interesting and could be do-able. But I don't think we'll be able to measure 6-10 in any meaningful way. If you have a test for accuracy or coordination, then people can just get good at the test even if their nervous system sucks. The problem is similar for agility and balance. And if someone can give me a practical definition of CrossFit's concept of "speed," then we can think about that too.
I know that with 7, 8, and 9, folks will start breaking out those Indo-boards.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

How about the Athletic Skills Standards by Coach David T. Werner, CrossFit North?
Breaks goals for each of these domains into four categories beginner, intermediate, advanced, elite.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

How about the SPARQ system, which already has data on thousands of people and solid metrics from which to base a score.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
How about the SPARQ system, which already has data on thousands of people and solid metrics from which to base a score.

SPARQ tests are heavily biased toward 5,6, & 7 and have little application to 1-4. Only the Yo-Yo test has any component of endurance or stamina to it. The only pure strength test is the bench press.