CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Chris Puckett

Profile:
Dealing with knee cartilage loss

Heres my story;

39 years young
ACL reconstruction when I was 21 - in 1996

ACL has been fine over the years with lots of CrossFit, cycling, swimming/surfing, weightlifting, etc. Torn ACL was from soccer & skiing as a kid.

Now I am facing severe cartilage loss in the knee I had surgery on. At the doctor now, and just had new xrays. The knee got aggravated again due to an extended period of inactivity, when I worked like crazy(60-70 hrs/week) and let my fitness go. Also after I gained about 15 lbs.

So now I have to ask, who else here is going through this? And how have you dealt with it? The doc says deep knee squats, will grind, even though I never feel pain. I can air squat super deep/vertical, literally *** to grass because I am very flexible. The inside of my knee is what has "collapsed", where there is no cartilage and where it could potentially grind. There is also spurring there. The current aggrevation in the knee happened after a program where I was doing a lot of KB swings, and rowing a 2K 4-6x per week.

So what are my options, if any? I will say that when I was wod'ing regularly, my knee and body was totally fine. When I take time off, it goes to crap. Doc is giving me a visc shot for my knee. Other than that, anything else I can do? Watching Grundler blow out the Master division inspires me to get back in the gym and train for 2016.

Thanks.

Last edited by Chris Puckett : 07-27-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Chris Puckett

Profile:
Re: Dealing with knee cartilage loss

A couple of quick updates from this gut check/reality check this morning of what I am facing with my knee.

Getting a Synvisc shot is now a laborious pain in the *** after Obamacare. You need "clearance" before you get the shot, by the insurance company. Where in the past I could just schedule an appointment, roll in and get the shot same day at my Ortho.

The last time I got the shot it lasted for a very long time and my knee was totally fine. Crossfit, powerlifting(400 sq), running, swimming, etc.

Was referred to "one of the best" Ortho docs in NYC. He doesn't do the Synvisc shots because he "only does surgery". But he refers you to other docs that do.

I think I re-aggravated my knee by rowing so much. I was rowing a 2K 4-6x per week for 8 weeks. All of those reps of deeper than parallel knee bending I think did it.

Have you been told you need a knee replacement because of lost cartilage? Have you done it? I am only 40 so this is unnerving. The Synvisc works so well for me, I just need to find a way to get it every 6 months. I will pay cash for it too because surgery sounds horrific.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 AM   #3
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Chris, I would definitely say no to surgery. The fact is this, orthopedic doctors/surgeons love surgery because thats what they get paid for. You are 40 y/o and extremely young for a TKA. If you choose to go that route you are looking at a second or third knee replacement down the line. Then when you replace one, you normally end up having the second replaced (not always, but a lot of the time). a total knee replacement may be inevitable down the line (30 yrs or so) but avoid it now.

You definitely have Osteoarthritis (degeneration of the cartilage) and there is nothing you can do about it honestly. Its going to be there. But, normalizing/balancing out the mechanical forces at knee will help with overall stability and pain at the knee. Not saying your knees will feel like you're 20 y/o again, but it will help with the pain. I would recommend hunting down a quality physical therapist who works more with Athletes/active lifestyle population who treats more so with a functional movement approach used in the combination with manual therapy. The fact is there are good PT's and there are bad PT's. You need to fund one who knows/understands your lifestyle who treats with a very functional approach, as opposed to treating with e-stim, ultrasound, and only non-functional supine-open chain movements.

Taking the time off probably caused some regression in the motor control at the knee and the tissues started adapting to the lesser demands at the knee. Those combination of things probably caused you to flare up the knee once you started loading similarly to how you loaded it before your time off.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Keep exercising the knee should be for severe pain that does not improve despite conservative management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E Tancini View Post
Chris, I would definitely say no to surgery. The fact is this, orthopedic doctors/surgeons love surgery because thats what they get paid for. You are 40 y/o and extremely young for a TKA. If you choose to go that route you are looking at a second or third knee replacement down the line. Then when you replace one, you normally end up having the second replaced (not always, but a lot of the time). a total knee replacement may be inevitable down the line (30 yrs or so) but avoid it now.

You definitely have Osteoarthritis (degeneration of the cartilage) and there is nothing you can do about it honestly. Its going to be there. But, normalizing/balancing out the mechanical forces at knee will help with overall stability and pain at the knee. Not saying your knees will feel like you're 20 y/o again, but it will help with the pain. I would recommend hunting down a quality physical therapist who works more with Athletes/active lifestyle population who treats more so with a functional movement approach used in the combination with manual therapy. The fact is there are good PT's and there are bad PT's. You need to fund one who knows/understands your lifestyle who treats with a very functional approach, as opposed to treating with e-stim, ultrasound, and only non-functional supine-open chain movements.

Taking the time off probably caused some regression in the motor control at the knee and the tissues started adapting to the lesser demands at the knee. Those combination of things probably caused you to flare up the knee once you started loading similarly to how you loaded it before your time off.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Keep exercising the knee should be for severe pain that does not improve despite conservative management.
Thanks Sean. I wouldnt call the pain extreme, but let me describe it; my knee is fine when I wake up, I bend over to put on my shoes and I feel my knee strain, then I am limping for the rest of the day. Its like at any given time my knee shifts/scrapes and then I am SOL for the rest of the day. So the pain isnt extreme, but its randomly limiting me on any given day.

The surgeon is terrific and works on pro/college athletes, some of the bigger names in NCAA football/NFL/MLS/NHL. He said I needed a partial replacement, and I would be back to normal eventually.

Appreciate all feedback, thanks.