CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Luis P Pinto

Profile:
Patella injury, what can i do?

Hello I have been struggling with a small Patella injury to my left knee. its been about 9 months since I diagnosed it, I've gotten an MRI and the doctor stated "little damage to the cartilage on the underside of your patella (knee cap) and the patellar tendon". The physical therapist recommended 3 knee strengthening exercises that I've been doing 2 times a week on my off days. (for the past month) I've also started using Rock Tape knee sleeves while im doing conditioning work, and ive been using Neo G patella support sleeve for walking around. does anyone have any experience with the VooDoo band? I've been icing my knee after every workout and I've been rolling out my legs pre and post workouts.

I've modified my conditioning and strength workouts so that I do absolutely nothing that has a jump, or high impact. So no DL, Cleans, PP, PJ, Snatch, Box J, or dubs.

I'm pretty sure that I cant do any lifts where the knee tracks over my foot, I must maintain 90 degree shins at all times, someone suggested doing squats over a box, but I dont feel comfortable because its difficult to bail.

I've running with rowing but making sure that my knee doesnt track over my foot, does anyone know if rowing would be bad for this injury?

I'm basically trying to figure out what I can do for conditioning and strength and maybe there are some exercises I could be doing to help the injury heal?

This is what I've been working on thus far, replaced running with rowing.
My strength cycle for 3 day week is strict press, weighted pull ups, and (still trying to figure that out). My conditioning has consisted of mostly bodyweight movements such as pushups, pull ups, sit ups, muscle ups, bar muscle ups, ghd's, and very careful air squats over a box to maintain vertical shins at all times. (I tried ball slams and wall balls but I seem to get sore from the squatting)

what can i do to strengthen my legs should i just sit that one out?
should i get a gym membership to condition my legs with seated leg lifts and lying leg curls?

does anyone have any experience with this injury, its seriously depressing, any ideas, recommendations i could follow? I'm sick of going through countless threads and trying to piece together some advice. I figure everyone on here is a veteran athlete and could steer me in the right direction.

thanks ahead of time.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Michael E Tancini

Profile:
Re: Patella injury, what can i do?

If your PT has not examined or addressed your foot, hip, pelvis, or spine then try finding a different PT. A good PT will be able to help you out. You need to figure out what up or down the chain is causing your issue. Fix the cause, fox the knee pain.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Kyle B Cooke

Profile:

Hi Luis. I'm sorry to hear about your Patellar Tendonitis. It sounds like it's really getting you down.

Sounds like you're doing alot to help bring blood to the tendon which is incredibly important when trying to "re-condition" your knee. Cartilage inside the knee joint already dosn't get much blood flow which is so important for repairing that type of injury. Our blood is what brings the tissue all the nutrient rich cells and oxygen to be able to heal.

I recommend trying really hard not to over-do it with your exercises. It might make you feel like things are not going fast enough with the healing, but it's equally important to rest as it is to exercise. After a workout, try using cold compression to reduce the inflammation and swelling because inflammation can be detrimental to your healing process in the tendon.

Here's a link with some really helpful information about Patellar Tendonitis for you that reflects everything I've been saying. http://www.kingbrand.com/Patellar-Te...?REF=86PV66.70

Wishing you the best in your future healing.

Kyle
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E Tancini View Post
If your PT has not examined or addressed your foot, hip, pelvis, or spine then try finding a different PT. A good PT will be able to help you out. You need to figure out what up or down the chain is causing your issue. Fix the cause, fox the knee pain.
My PT has me doing a lot of hip, pelvis, foot and core exercises for jumpers knee.