CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Dag Friedman

Profile:
shoulder injury squat

So I injured my shoulder about 4-5 months ago. Originally I had not been able to squat at all due to the injury. About 1.5 months ago I discovered that I could front squat so now I front squat a lot (about 3 times a week). I have been reading about safety squat bars or bars that would allow me to back squat. My question is, is it worth it for me to get one of these bar accessories so that I can back squat or are front squat a solid replacement?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: shoulder injury squat

With a shoulder injury all 3 are better than being in the overhead position. The real question is what happenend to your shoulder and is it fixable to allow you to get overhead again if you wanted. Some solutiuons are easier than others when it comes to going overhead again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Friedman View Post
So I injured my shoulder about 4-5 months ago. Originally I had not been able to squat at all due to the injury. About 1.5 months ago I discovered that I could front squat so now I front squat a lot (about 3 times a week). I have been reading about safety squat bars or bars that would allow me to back squat. My question is, is it worth it for me to get one of these bar accessories so that I can back squat or are front squat a solid replacement?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Bryan Hood

Profile:

I had shoulder surgery back in March for torn rotator, torn biceps tendon, torn supraspinatus and torn labrum. I have been using my safety squat bar and giant cambered bar for squatting. I've just been able to shoulder the giant cambered bar in the past month. I HIGHLY recommend getting a safety squat bar. Yep, they're pricey. Got mine from Rogue. You can also get them from Westside, Elite FTS and a few other places. Get a quality one. It'll last you forever and it's also a great training tool vs straight bar. You'll see your straight bar squats go thru the roof.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Dawn Rivera

Profile:

I am 10 weeks post surgery (bicipital tenodesis and 5% rotator repair). In the last week I have started doing front squats but not to 1RM. I do not want to take the chance of having to dump the weight and hurt the shoulder. With the doctors permission, I have started LIGHT overhead work. We have a 15lb training bar at our box. Depending on the workout, I will add only two 5lb plates or two 10 lb plates. I can not do anything that requires a snatch grip nor am I willing to try at this point. Only doing what I do in PT at this point. (FYI, I am a 46 yr old woman)

Last edited by Dawn Rivera : 08-19-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Dag Friedman

Profile:

So I checked out the safety squat bar from Rogue fitness. As mentioned quite pricey. According to the video it places the weight somewhere between a high-bar squat and a front squat. If it was cheaper I would probably buy it but I think for now I will stick to front squats since this does not seem too much different. Though, if I do end up getting surgery on the shoulder this seems almost required if I want to squat while recovering.