CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Low Back Injury From Deadlifting

So, I had a WOD a few months ago that was something like this:

10 Deadlifts at 315
15 Over the Bar Burpees

Rest 2 minutes X5

315 isn't that heavy for me (450 Max) so I did the first two rounds unbroken then the last three 6/4 I could feel towards the middle that my back was hurting a bit, but pushed through it. Fast forward two months and my low back is still very much an issue.

I was getting better but then had a competition which happened to include deadifts and went back to square one.

I was seeing a chrio twice a week for a month but it didn't prove to do much. He did stim, ultrasound, graston and adjustments for it. I'm planning to borrow an inversion table from a relative hoping that can help but wa swonding if anyone had ever had similar issues and found something that fixed it.

I can do pretty much anything other than pull off the floor. No deadlifts, clean or snatches. Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Low Back Injury From Deadlifting

I would preface this with saying that I am not an expert by any means but I have had a similar type of injury in the past and I did some static stretching and mobility drills (before mobility was the buzz word, they just called it PT) and it helped.

First I had to loosen my hamstrings so I did some stretching there, my hamstrings were REALLY tight so I put one leg up on a chair that was tall enough to provide a stretch and leave it there for 30 seconds, did that three times per leg.

Then I would get on the ground on my knees sitting on my calves and put my stomach on the ground in front of me, arms out in front, stretch 15 seconds straight ahead, reach to the right for 15 seconds, reach to the left for 15 seconds. Next, I would get on my back with my feet on the floor in front of me and press my lower back into the ground and hold for a couple seconds, repeat 10-15 times. Last, lay on my back, arms at my side, legs extended and lift one leg a few inches above the ground and hold for a couple seconds, repeat 10-15 times per leg. Repeat the three movements 3 times.

I am a little hazy on the details and it is difficult to write out but I did the best I could not knowing the names of the exercises. I had a PT put me on those and it worked. Obviously I also cut out exercises like deadlifts and anything else that put stress on my back. I would probably work on loosening your glutes too, quads if they are tight.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Jayme, were you using DOH grip, mixed grip or straps on those TnG DLs?

what helped me in the past was doing strenghtening exercises for my lower back. No yoga, no stretches, no mobility...only strength work. I still feel discomfort in the SI joint area, but I muscle throw it.

this: http://billstarrr.blogspot.si/2012/0...ower-back.html
http://billstarrr.blogspot.si/2012/01/lumbars.html links 99% WFS, some description of human anatomy in one post that might upset somebody

If you are able to, can afford, do a MRI scan to make sure there is no physical damage first.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Zach Long

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
So, I had a WOD a few months ago that was something like this:

10 Deadlifts at 315
15 Over the Bar Burpees

Rest 2 minutes X5

315 isn't that heavy for me (450 Max) so I did the first two rounds unbroken then the last three 6/4 I could feel towards the middle that my back was hurting a bit, but pushed through it. Fast forward two months and my low back is still very much an issue.

I was getting better but then had a competition which happened to include deadifts and went back to square one.

I was seeing a chrio twice a week for a month but it didn't prove to do much. He did stim, ultrasound, graston and adjustments for it. I'm planning to borrow an inversion table from a relative hoping that can help but wa swonding if anyone had ever had similar issues and found something that fixed it.

I can do pretty much anything other than pull off the floor. No deadlifts, clean or snatches. Thoughts?
Stim and ultrasound are close to worthless when it comes to back pain. Ultrasound does nothing. Stim is temporary pain relief

Find a McKenzie trained PT/Chiro or someone listed on Clinical Athlete. A great site with athlete / medical providers
Old 10-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

After three year of chronic sciatica caused by herniated discs. . . . I'm beginning to wonder about what's worth doing and what's not worth doing. . . .