CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Jason Senn

Profile:
Hamstring

About 5 1/2 weeks ago I injured my hamstring during a competition. I had trouble walking for several days but it gradually got better. Last week I started back working out on a regular basis. However the 1 think I still can't do is run. I may be able to run 200 meters at a nice pass (1/2 mile pace at best) but then it just tightens up and I struggle through whatever running I have left. I obviously have stretched it and I use Rock Sauce to help it. Anyone have any suggestions to further heal this?

thanks
Old 10-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Hamstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Senn View Post
About 5 1/2 weeks ago I injured my hamstring during a competition. I had trouble walking for several days but it gradually got better. Last week I started back working out on a regular basis. However the 1 think I still can't do is run. I may be able to run 200 meters at a nice pass (1/2 mile pace at best) but then it just tightens up and I struggle through whatever running I have left. I obviously have stretched it and I use Rock Sauce to help it. Anyone have any suggestions to further heal this?

thanks
Get some light ankle weights and do a set of 100 lying hamstring curls daily. If you Google it you will see Louie Simmons has endorsed this for some time. He learned of it from a track athlete. It is quite effective at rehabbing and preventing hamstring concerns.

I suppose it should be obvious you want to use control during the movement - i.e. don't be sloppy.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Jason Senn

Profile:

Thank you. I have a set here I will give it a try.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

Rest is the best healer...

Some things you have to give time to heal and not trying to push yourself back into full loads and movements. The worst thing is not to do anything, but whatever you do use moderation.

If you push it too hard to early you are going to blow it out again and then you will have an even longer time to get back to 100%.

Your body is telling you something when it tightens up..... its saying what the **** are you doing, if you don't stop I will stop it for you. The body is a very smart machine.

I use massage to help issues I have had and heat to help the blood flow but only after a couple of weeks.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
Jason Senn

Profile:

I hurt it on September 12th. The next couple weeks I did nothing except some benching and push ups. I was then to the point where there was nothing noticeably wrong when i walk. I am now back to where I can do anything but run. I did Filthy 50 2 weeks ago with no problem. I did Murph yesterday and the running was awful. I ended up walking a lot becasue is was tight. I guess it is getting colder so the running is about over for the year. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Zach Long

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Senn View Post
I hurt it on September 12th. The next couple weeks I did nothing except some benching and push ups. I was then to the point where there was nothing noticeably wrong when i walk. I am now back to where I can do anything but run. I did Filthy 50 2 weeks ago with no problem. I did Murph yesterday and the running was awful. I ended up walking a lot becasue is was tight. I guess it is getting colder so the running is about over for the year. Thanks for the input.
nordic hamstring curls....research proven to decrease risk of hamstring injury

when I get my hamstring patients back to where they can do most of their athletics then we start working on nordics
Old 10-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
Sean Rockett

Profile:

One important thing is where is the tear? if it is mid hamstring in the muscle belly conservative measures usually do the trick and things get better. If it is in the buttock near the hamstring tendon attachment then it is a different story for an athletic individual.