CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Declan Ward

Profile:
I just started incorporating rings into my routine, I'm using a program I found on another thread, but I can't find any info on what a "jacknife" is, if anyone has a link for a demo or can explain what it is I would appreciate it.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Declan,

First off, congrats on using rings. I have brought them into my Crossfit routine, and love it. Anyway, on to what you wanted to know. A jacknife pushup is just this: Start in the pushup position either elevated on a plyo box, or on the floor parallel. The arms are moved out to the front, keeping them straight until you get to a "superman" position. Back is straight, butt is tucked, and everything is in line. Then, you reverse the direction, and while keeping the arms straight, you go back to the pushup position. Thats "1". You can progress to this by starting with your knees on the plyo box, until you can eventually do them with your legs at full extension, or the traditional pushup position. If that doesnt clear it up for you, you can go to ringtraining.com and I believe they have examples of the exercises under the "100 pushup" workout link. You can also purchase the ring strength training DVD on that website, and its a GREAT resource if you are serious about incorporating ring training. I am sure you will get some more posters adding to this, but it would be a good start. Also, you can do a search for a thread I posted a little while ago on ring strength training, and I got allot of good links passed to me on that thread. Good luck, hope I helped.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Bin Lu

Profile:
sorry to divert the topic a little bit, but I was wondering about subbing rings for a bar. When the WOD goes for time (like the 100 pullup, pushup, situp, squat, etc), should we be doing a third of the pullups if we use rings? I know it works the other way around for muscle ups and such, but what about bar to rings? I've been trying to do the actual numbers on rings...but my body tends to not like me very much.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Travis Hall

Profile:

chris gave an excellent explanation, but i'll just add- it's the exact same movement as when you use an abwheel.

cheers,
t.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Bin, pullups on rings are a bit different, but there is no reason to do a fraction of pullups when going from a stationary bar or hold to rings.
Support stuff on the other hand differs big time from pbars to rings. Mainly due to lack of stabilization ability. More effort/less efficiency = more work necessary.

I think part of the reason for doing so many pullups and dips on rings is mainly to encourage working the muscle up or getting there. Doing 3:1 will definitely serve to getting there faster.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I vote if you are going to do pull-ups on rings, well then do pull-ups on rings. They are harder, but it doesn't mean that you should reduce the numbers you do.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Actually, if I remember correctly, during pullup testing I observed higher numbers on rings than a stationary bar using an overgrip. I figure because you can use the biceps more besides the bar getting in your way.

Unless you do them false grip. That would make numbers more difficult.