CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Justin Lascek

Profile:
Re: An Effective, Yet Simple Strength and Conditioning Program

Last edited by Justin Lascek : 10-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Last edited by Justin Lascek : 10-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Justin Lascek

Profile:

As much time as I've been on the internet, you'd think I could figure this out. I combined all the responses to thread quotes in one message, and I'm trying to delete my extraneous posts. Feel free to let me know how to delete them so I don't look like a noob.

And I see the multi-quote button now.

Last edited by Justin Lascek : 10-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lascek View Post
As much time as I've been on the internet, you'd think I could figure this out. I combined all the responses to thread quotes in one message, and I'm trying to delete my extraneous posts. Feel free to let me know how to delete them so I don't look like a noob.

And I see the multi-quote button now.
You can't delete on the CrossFit forums, babe. That would make way too much sense.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

Wow great stuff Justin. I have been a 70s big lurker since I have been stacking Wendler's 5/3/1 with Chik FilA cookies and cream milkshakes...the results have been pretty good, minus the additional dinner muscle I've added

I have been waiting for something like this for a while, and I look forward to the later version that lists conditioning options.

(When did you move to FLA? I thought you were in Texas.)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

You wanted questions, you got them. Two of them.

1. For reasons that I don't feel like mentioning, lets assume I just cannot squat... can I replace the squat with something maybe unilateral, like bulgaria split squats or barbel step-ups, and still see strength+mass gains with the program? (provided one eats enough, of course). PS: I am working on some stuff so I can eventually squat... but right now I just cannot.

2. I realize your last line of the file says you'll provide sample conditioning workouts in the future. So I wont ask for samples, but, can you at least point out some guidance? ... For example, on day two where you do power cleans and dips... what should the metcon include? Power cleans and dips? Or something with legs and other movements like push-press or push-ups or pull-ups... ?? Should these be "heavy metcons" since they're short, or can they be like half Angie or 1/4 Murph (stuff one might do in less than 8 minutes but uses very light movements).

Thanks for the comments. I had been doing WS4SB Part III for the past weeks with some gains, and this week is rest... so on monday I might just resume and do your program, it's also 4 days a week and the same days I was using... plus it has two short metcons, I kinda miss metcons, haven't done one in a long while.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:

I posted this on the Blog and I'll post it here.

I've been recovering from injury and it's been INSANE watching a gazillion people talk about the different strength training programs. It was like, all of a sudden, strength training got "in". Now "oly lifting" is shooting up there.

This is so simple and straightforward it's almost scary.

awesome.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
Jon Cowie

Profile:

Do you think i could use the programme for my goals?

Goals: Improve deadlift by 47kg, Squat by 27kg, Bench press by 11kg & Press by 21.5kg; Imporve 1.5 mile run (currently 10:30 +/- 10 secs), eventual aim 9:30 (Lifetime PB was 8:55)-times are ASAP within reason, pretty much train hard & see when they come.

I have been using a slightly modified CFWF template:

Mon: Squat & chins/pullups Supersets with rests
Press & neck ext supersets (i occaisionally dabble with contact sports and will not impact much on recovery?)
Tue: Cleans, 1.5 mile run

Thur: Squat, Bench (been toying around with either JM presses, close grip presses & dips to finish, either 1 immediate high rep set or a 5x3)
Fri: Deadlift (toyed with extra chins/curls-yes really!-as above), 1.5 mile run

Also cycle approx 10-15 minute commute 4 days a week on a fixed speed-complete with eccentric pedalling to brake.

The runs are over 10 minutes so don't fit the guidelines, but it is an important goal and they're not too far off(?)

Would it be better to drop the run on tue and add a shorter run or some sprints to reduce the time so it fits the programme better? And will supersetting ruin everything, it's just quicker and i don't feel any worse doing it. My legs are pretty heavy by Fri, cycling is pretty neccesary for my life so should i drop/reduce something else or just grow a pair?

Lastly, thanks!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
Sam Ser

Profile:

thanks, justin. this looks great.

i really like that power cleans and deadlifts are trained separately from squats in this program, as opposed to the other starting strength-based templates. i do wonder about keeping the deadlifts at just one work set, though.

in those other templates, when people asked why deadlifts got just one work set, it was easy to point to the fact that they came after three work sets of squats (and three more of presses) and say that one set at that point was enough. here, though, you're attacking deadlifts while fresh. could you explain why you felt it necessary to maintain the same low volume for deadlifts despite this difference?

thank you in advance!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
Paul Vanzavelberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
i do wonder about keeping the deadlifts at just one work set, though.
Certainly to prevent overload while being sure the body rest enough to hit the incremental loading best.

For the V1.0, here is a link (with a bunch of other links) (wfs) : http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50968

Last edited by Paul Vanzavelberg : 10-09-2010 at 01:51 PM.