CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #931
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

I can't imagine how long you can metcon while doing Smolov. The program is brutal enough as is on its own.

I tried to eat +1000 calories every single day, and I actually lost body fat while I did Smolov.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #932
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Metcon during Smolov to your own peril. You might be able to do something terribly easy, but I would leave your lower body alone.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #933
Oli Kellett

Profile:

No problemmo. I am coming to the end of my rugby season in the next 4 weeks and I wanted to add some strength and size over the off season so I get metconning can take a back seat.

Cheers
Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #934
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So, just started week 3 of Smolov. My knees are already bugging me a little bit, which worries me. But I'm going to keep flossing, icing and foam rolling. I do think I'm going to drop the weight by about 10 pounds. I went off my 1RM that I established some time ago and haven't tested since so I'm weary I may have overshot it from the beginning.

I started doing this because I broke my pinky and couldn't grib a barbell or pullup bar. My question is, when I get to week 6 I should be out of my splint and able to use my left hand fairly effectively. Would it be bad to add in a Smolov Jr cycle of bench? I am very weak upper body compared to lower body and would like to address that somewhat. I know they say Smolov should be done all on it's own but I thought perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal since I'd be training two different areas that won't effect each other. Or will I just be too rundown overall as they're both taxing on the body as a whole?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #935
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I ran them both and was fine. I didn't start smolov bench until I started the switching cycle of smolov squat though, so I'd have some time to acclimate to the volume.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #936
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Good to hear, that's exactly when I was planning to add it in. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #937
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So, for the switching phase, there doesn't seem to be any set plan that I can find. Just 50-60% and fast out of the bottom are the general guidelines.

Anyone have something a little more specific? Like days, sets/reps, etc.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #938
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Jayme, if possiblem, update us with your progress. Whats yer squat/bench now and where it will land after end of smolov. Also BW if you plan tracking it. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #939
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Jayme, if possiblem, update us with your progress. Whats yer squat/bench now and where it will land after end of smolov. Also BW if you plan tracking it. Thanks.
I don't even know my bench max right now, it's not high.

My back squat was either 325 or 315, I used 315 for the purpose of Smolov to be on the safe side with my percentages. Pretty sure mt BW has remained around 180 but I haven't gotten on a scale recently. I'll be testing my 1RM again on the 21st so I'll have updated stats then.

I actually might bail on the program after that for a number of reasons. My hand should be healed and I'll want to to more than just squat if I'm able. And my knees have been bothering me for a few weeks now, don't want to push things too far and up with another injury.