CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Mostly because it is popular and most people have an "us vs. them" attitude about things. It's human nature. The aforementioned reasons are all valid and stated, but the underlying cause is the group mentality of us vs. them. If you don't CrossFit and are say a bodybuilder then you attack powerlifting and CF etc.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Critics and nitpickers focus their time on the few negative "incidents" that naturally occur in a movement growing as fast as CrossFit. Yet, look at the millions of people who lives are being changed and improved on a daily basis as a result of CrossFit.

I would also speculate that the vast majority of these critics don't follow CrossFit as a fitness program and as Chris suggested above they feel a strong need to protect their own interests and sport.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

the fact that they self glossed "elite" and "fittest on earth" might have a little to do with it. the way that they have treated many well respected people, experts, coaches, etc also has something to do with it. and the fact that they speak ill of other training methods doesn't help. when they don't explain or describe what the template is or how it is developed or programmed it is frustrating. And when they promised to be evidence based and adjust what they did based on what works and then when people suggested and proved that certain things worked and they were aggresive with rejecting change and speaking bad about anyone that even dared ask such questions that kinda sealed the deal. there are many good things about crossfit. it has done much for the fitness world. and it can be a great way to train. but it isn't without it's problems, mistakes, etc...
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Dan Douglas

Profile:

People that had been lifting for years hate being told about "modal domains" etc by someone who just picked up weight training 3 months prior because it is in a trendy new package and he thinks he is elite after 90 days.

Theres nothing wrong with crossfit if you take it for what it is and stay out of the political BS, but I used to lift for strength, do a bunch of barbell complexes, then jog it off - which is not too far from what a lot of boxes do - and my first encounters with crossfit were hearing someone like I described above tell me I be so much better off if I just did random circuit training 6x a week, because it had just been invented.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

good point... no quality control of boxes or trainers hasn't helped...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
1. crossfit is an expensive marketing version of HIIT
2. total lack of programming, structure
3. encouraged bad form, risk taking, injury

and countless other things... I've tuned out to it. I like crossfit, it works for me, and keeps me coming back, everything else is just a distraction.
I was about to outline these exact points. CrossFit is more or less a slap in the face to any well educated S&C coach.

I more or less hate CrossFit and the CF cult mentality can kiss my a**. And what I mean by that is I hate the eliitest attitude- CF is superior to specificity programming bulls*it.

but, I like the box I workout at. I followed there programming online for about 6 months before I decided to join.

and that is exactly the problem with CF- the brand name. What box A and box B does can be two completely different things. Some gyms offer more balance in their programming while others just seem to do random retardness that makes no sense.

Last edited by Jesse Martin : 09-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Pearse Shields

Profile:

It's mostly a hate of the things that HQ has said or done in the past. Lack of planning, progression, programming, things being done without rhyme nor reason on the CF mainpage is a big part of it. Then there are, along with the above reasons, quotes such as:

"More like birthday party, less like physics class"

"Periodization as variations in intensity: inescapable. ... as planned variations in intensity to optimize performance: witchcraft."

Then you have the SDHPs, kipping HSPUs, the softball throw, medicine ball squat cleans and other silly things.

Sherdog doesn't hate strength and conditioning, or even intense circuits. What they do like, however, is a planned, periodized approach to training in order to peak for a specific event. Fitness for MMA and other sports is specific, whereas CF is nothing but general.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

I dont understand, I hate paleo too

I think everything has been covered pretty much and I think that we could all agree on the fact that this ship has sailed..

To each his own
Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #19
John Powell

Profile:

One more possibility- Despite HQ's constant use of the term CVFM@HI, many people associate CrossFit with high intensity bodyweight workouts, and less so with the PL, OL and strength aspects.
We get newcomers all of the time that expect their workouts to be some variation of burpees, box jumps, double unders and maybe some KBS, and look genuinely surprised when we are lifting. If this is your understanding of CF, I can understand why athletes would think it's a joke
Old 09-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
Deb Weber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Mostly because it is popular and most people have an "us vs. them" attitude about things. It's human nature. The aforementioned reasons are all valid and stated, but the underlying cause is the group mentality of us vs. them. If you don't CrossFit and are say a bodybuilder then you attack powerlifting and CF etc.
THIS. Profoundly true IMHO. look in, not out.