CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Ira A. Walton II

Profile:
Question About Workouts So Far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira A. Walton II
Hello Everyone,

Quote:
I'm 32 yrs. old, 199lbs, 6' tall. I've have alway loved working out but very seldom have the time, needless to say crossfit has been a blessing in that area. I just began crossfit Monday on my own, following the beginners guide in the May '03 journal & the one provided by michael ashcroft. It has been whoopin' my tail. My goal is to get stronger while toning not bulking, my goal weight is 175lbs - 180lbs. I've lost 16lbs already with water fasting however I miss the fitness part, so now here I am. The nearest crossfit facility is approximately 1 hr away, between 2 jobs and a family & church time will not permit me the 2 hrs to travel back and forth. I do have some equipment and will aquire more as time and finances permit. I have an old set of concrete weights, some dumbells, a 40lbs shackle, two old power poles and a home made pull up bar, hope to post pics soon. I live in the country side no garage but lots of field and woods, I'm pretty handy and have access to weilding equipment and steel, so i plan to make most of my equipment. My inspiration is my wife and children, to be health for them and be in better shape now then when i was a teen. I would however like to maybe in the future begin a crossfit here for adults and children. My biggest obstacle is myself I'm a starter not a finisher but I'm a work and progress this is something I really want to finish. God bless and I look forward to being an involved member at crossfit.
I've been doing crossfit for about a week now and man has it kicked my butt, but I'm still loving it. My lower body has been aching for days here are the two beginner work outs I have started doing
1. http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...nnersMay03.pdf
2. http://michaelashcroft.net/wp-conten...cf-program.pdf
But after the butt kick I recieved Friday (05/13/2011)
I decided to take program #2 and make 5 on 2 off like program 1. I just really felt like I need the rest is this ok???
Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Question About Workouts So Far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira A. Walton II View Post
I just really felt like I need the rest is this ok???
No. Anything less than total commitment to the point of injury is simply unacceptable.

Yes. Of course rest is okay. Even a 5-2 schedule is pretty aggressive for someone just starting out. Many affiliates program seven days a week, but very few of their members are actually going to be training that often. For a beginner, I'd suggest starting at either three days per week or a 1-on, 1-off schedule, then adding workouts as your body adjusts.

Katherine
Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Ira A. Walton II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
No. Anything less than total commitment to the point of injury is simply unacceptable.

Yes. Of course rest is okay. Even a 5-2 schedule is pretty aggressive for someone just starting out. Many affiliates program seven days a week, but very few of their members are actually going to be training that often. For a beginner, I'd suggest starting at either three days per week or a 1-on, 1-off schedule, then adding workouts as your body adjusts.

Katherine
Lol, thanks for the advice, I will probably continue with program provided by the crossfit journal, and move to make the 3 on 1 off to a 5 on 2 off. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, I really enjoy the sense of accomplishment at the end of the workouts and even enjoy the pain that follows.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
David Hansen

Profile:

You're only a week into CF and you're blasting it 3 days in a row?

When I first started, I couldn't lift my hands above my head the day after, let alone N more thrusters. I was taking 3, sometimes 4, days of rest between WODs for the first month, with active recovery, foam rolling, and mobility work on the off days, and *still* arriving for the next WOD in near-crippling pain.

I don't really have anything helpful to add here, I'm just shocked you're able to jump into 3on/1off in the first week. Congratulations.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

I've only been doing CF for a little while, and I can't imagine jumping in at the 3 on, 1 off (or 5/2) out of the gates. Without really knowing your fitness level coming in, it's hard to say.

However, my word of caution is to consider easing into CF. I love the rush and natural high from the metcons. And...accordingly, went too hard too fast. This blurred the reality that I was no longer in my 20's and needed more time to recover. My body gave me a huge wake up call with a pulled groin and hamstring. This over zealousness cost me almost 4 weeks of progress. Coming back, I'm focused on form and slow, controlled progress. When in doubt, I rest...even when I can't wait to hit it hard again. My goal is to be back at 3/1 by Fall. In the meantime, striving for 1 on, 1 off...UNLESS my body tells me otherwise.

Just be careful...that's all I'm sayin'.