CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Todd Phillips

Profile:
trying to get a plan together...

Ok, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I am 40yo now and started getting active again about 1.5 years ago, after many sedentary fatty years... I'm currently 180lbs, 5'11".

My activities have been some p90x, BB Insanity videos, and I play Ultimate Frisbee twice per week on most weeks (on Tues and Thurs nights). I also have a sit on my *** desk job for 40+ hours a week and a long *** commute 3 days per week (when I don't work from home)..

I've wanted to do CF since I first heard about it in 2009 but didn't have any gear (aside from some dumbbells) and definitely can't join the local 150/mnth box, and couldn't figure out how to fit in the bodyweight only version I read about, so I settled on trying p90x...

My goals/desires are to get stronger, faster (esp. for Ultimate) and to lower my bf%. I've found that the p90x and BB Insanity I've done has not improved my strength much at all. My overall fitness in fact just doesn't seem to improve much like it used to (when I was young). Granted I am old now, and I didn't/don't work the programs with 100% focus and intensity (never actually finished either one), and I am not even in half as good of shape as those in the videos...Maybe not even in a third..

SO this last weekend I happened upon a bench/bar/weights set (for $100) at a garage sale and buying it forced me into looking fresh at what my options are to actually start using it...

After reading some posts here I bought a copy of the SS book and have started reading it. I know with my Ultimate Frisbee focus, I won't be actually trying to follow SS, but whatever I do with the barbell, I want to do as best I can form wise...

I also read a great thread here where the 70's big Lascek workout was recommended for someone in a similar situation (who plays soccer), so I am thinking that could be the way to go.. But then that guy already has some good strength training under his belt and with me being so green I'm not sure that's going to work for me... Or at least I am having trouble figuring out how to fit it into my schedule with playing Ultimate on T and TH nights...

I did try the official crossfit warmup and did some light weight sets of squats the other night, and I am still sore.. :-)

I consider Ultimate my favorite activity and don't think I could stop doing it, but it really puts a kink in trying to figure out a good plan for what else I am going to do to try and get to the next level....

Ok so this ended up being long and I am probably not going to get any feedback, but any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated..

Last edited by Todd Phillips : 05-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Re: trying to get a plan together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Phillips View Post
Ok, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I am 40yo now and started getting active again about 1.5 years ago, after many sedentary fatty years... I'm currently 180lbs, 5'11".

My activities have been some p90x, BB Insanity videos, and I play Ultimate Frisbee twice per week on most weeks (on Tues and Thurs nights). I also have a sit on my *** desk job for 40+ hours a week and a long *** commute 3 days per week (when I don't work from home)..

I've wanted to do CF since I first heard about it in 2009 but didn't have any gear (aside from some dumbbells) and definitely can't join the local 150/mnth box, and couldn't figure out how to fit in the bodyweight only version I read about, so I settled on trying p90x...

My goals/desires are to get stronger, faster (esp. for Ultimate) and to lower my bf%. I've found that the p90x and BB Insanity I've done has not improved my strength much at all. My overall fitness in fact just doesn't seem to improve much like it used to (when I was young). Granted I am old now, and I didn't/don't work the programs with 100% focus and intensity (never actually finished either one), and I am not even in half as good of shape as those in the videos...Maybe not even in a third..

SO this last weekend I happened upon a bench/bar/weights set (for $100) at a garage sale and buying it forced me into looking fresh at what my options are to actually start using it...

After reading some posts here I bought a copy of the SS book and have started reading it. I know with my Ultimate Frisbee focus, I won't be actually trying to follow SS, but whatever I do with the barbell, I want to do as best I can form wise...

I also read a great thread here where the 70's big Lascek workout was recommended for someone in a similar situation (who plays soccer), so I am thinking that could be the way to go.. But then that guy already has some good strength training under his belt and with me being so green I'm not sure that's going to work for me... Or at least I am having trouble figuring out how to fit it into my schedule with playing Ultimate on T and TH nights...

I did try the official crossfit warmup and did some light weight sets of squats the other night, and I am still sore.. :-)

I consider Ultimate my favorite activity and don't think I could stop doing it, but it really puts a kink in trying to figure out a good plan for what else I am going to do to try and get to the next level....

Ok so this ended up being long and I am probably not going to get any feedback, but any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated..
I'm not sure from your post what it is that you want to improve. If strength, then get some squat stands and squat and bench twice a week.

If conditioning, then do CF twice a week.

If twice a week is too much to recover from, then replace "twice a week" with "once a week."

I played Ultimate in NC for about ten years, so I am familiar with the demands of the sport.

To be honest, it doesn't matter which program you pick, as long as you do it consistently, and have a clear and measurable goal.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Amy Larson

Profile:

You might check out Wendler 531 and lift 3 x per week. It works well for us older folks. I wouldn't add any conditioning, your Ultimate will take care of that. Just 3 days of lifting and a few assistance exercises (which can be bodyweight).

You will need some squat stands-don't balk and spending the money squatting is essential.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Your what is referred to as an "untrained or novice" lifter. This means your body will improve and recover rapidly from starting any kind of training.

If you are doing it at home I would recommend picking up the SS DVD to learn the lifts. It is a well spent $25 for some one working from home.

Schedual
Sunday:lift
Monday:lift (possible 10 min met-con)
Tuesday: Frisbee
Wed:Rest day
Thursday:lift + Frisbee
Friday:lift (possible 10 min met-con)
Saturday:Rest Day

At some point in time this will become a little over simplified. It doesn't contain much CrossFit style met-cons which I believe will be of benefit to you down the road. You could add short 10 min met-cons to Monday and Friday if you want.

Don't over think it. Programming is part art, especially at our age. Listen to your body, take it slow, make sure your form is good and adjust programing as you learn what works for you.

Now pick up the bar!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Just do the 70's Big program and use the Ultimate frisbee as your conditioning. You can tweak the days of the week as needed, but you want your two days of squatting to be spaced far enough apart.

I would also recommend the SS DVD like Brendan mentioned.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Todd Phillips

Profile:

thanks so much all for the great suggestions!

@amy, I will check 531 out for sure. thanks

@brendan, I am a chronic overthinker, so thanks for the advice to turn it down. Please allow to me overthink a little bit in response here to your schedule suggestions though...

What lifts would you recommend on the particular lifting days? Playing ultimate for 1.5 to 2 hours on T and TH nights leaves me pretty sore in the legs on W and F... Should I just do bench on Friday? Or, is it ok to do squats if my legs are still pretty sore from frisbee?

You say to lift and play frisbee on TH. What lifting would be best? I usually just do some pushups on T and TH mornings but have always stayed away from doing much more than that to keep my legs fresh for frisbee.

@tamara. So far 70's big has made the most sense to try and follow, but I am still trying to figure out how to mesh that two days of squatting into my particular schedule with the two days of frisbee. thanks

I just realized the weight set I bought came with a 30lb bar... I thought it was a standard 45lb bar when I was buying. Is that a big deal? I think it will work for a good while until my loads get heavier, right?

My thought so far has been that I can squat with this set by turning the handles around from the bench and raising them up all the way. I have to bend over a little further than what is recommended to get under the bar but I think this can at least get me by for a while until I get to heavier loads..

Thanks again all!