CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Luis De Nicolo

Profile:
Red face New to Crossfit

My name is Luis De Nicolo and I will be attending to my first crossfit class on Saturday in Crossfit Body Mechanic in Tampa, FL.

I'm 22 years old and my challenge for these next months is to lose 30lbs in order for me to join the U.S. Air Forces. My friend told me about crossfit and I was wondering if this program would help me to get in shape and try to lose those pounds.

Any ideas will be appreciated, by the way nice meeting you all and I am really looking forward to the first CF class!!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Luis De Nicolo

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit

Anybody?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Nabil Taif

Profile:

lol, I am also waiting on some intro advice!

Welcome though, I wish you luck with your goals!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis De Nicolo View Post
My name is Luis De Nicolo and I will be attending to my first crossfit class on Saturday in Crossfit Body Mechanic in Tampa, FL.

I'm 22 years old and my challenge for these next months is to lose 30lbs in order for me to join the U.S. Air Forces. My friend told me about crossfit and I was wondering if this program would help me to get in shape and try to lose those pounds.

Any ideas will be appreciated, by the way nice meeting you all and I am really looking forward to the first CF class!!
Welcome!

Yea Crossfit will help, but is weight loss is your goal you need to focus on your diet more than exercise. Eat whole unprocessed food, whether that follows the "paleo" or "primal" labels, or simply plain clean eating, is optimal to pair with crossfit.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, it will probably help but nutrition will be even more important than your training methodologies. Look into Paleo eating.

Start slowly and ramp up intensity and volume gradually. Failure to do so often results in injury.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:

Welcome!! CrossFit will definitely help you get in shape for the military. But, in order to lose weight, you will have to do that with your diet! Check out Paleo and Zone. I did Paleo/Zone and that helped me with some weight lost. It will be tough the first few weeks but, stick with it and it will pay off!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Luis De Nicolo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica S Roberts View Post
Welcome!! CrossFit will definitely help you get in shape for the military. But, in order to lose weight, you will have to do that with your diet! Check out Paleo and Zone. I did Paleo/Zone and that helped me with some weight lost. It will be tough the first few weeks but, stick with it and it will pay off!
I am really looking forward to this challenge, I will do more research about the paleo diet, the thing is that it is difficult for me to be cooking that everyday since I live by myself. But thank you Jessica for your motivation and for the warm welcome!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Luis De Nicolo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yes, it will probably help but nutrition will be even more important than your training methodologies. Look into Paleo eating.

Start slowly and ramp up intensity and volume gradually. Failure to do so often results in injury.
Any recommendations of where may I find good recipes for the paleo diet? I googled it but there are too many, just wondering if you had a really good one. Thank you for the support and for taking the time Eric!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Luis De Nicolo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Welcome!

Yea Crossfit will help, but is weight loss is your goal you need to focus on your diet more than exercise. Eat whole unprocessed food, whether that follows the "paleo" or "primal" labels, or simply plain clean eating, is optimal to pair with crossfit.
Weight loss is not my only goal, I really want to get fit as well. Thank you for the advise I will look into it Rebecca. Thank you so much!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis De Nicolo View Post
Any recommendations of where may I find good recipes for the paleo diet? I googled it but there are too many, just wondering if you had a really good one. Thank you for the support and for taking the time Eric!
The recipes here are killer:
http://www.primal-palate.com/ (WFS)