CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Nabil Taif

Profile:
Your Take on Crossfit Football

Hi,

I am new to CF and such and I was wondering if anyone could briefly share their success stories with the CrossFit Football program?

I am starting this program and hoping to achieve my goals of increased muscle size, strength, callisthenic movements such as chinups and pushups and a 9min or less 1.5 mile run.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Carlos Alvarez

Profile:
Re: Your Take on Crossfit Football

I'm about to start the program myself. The feedback all over has been positive as sport training. However, it going to focus more on strength than calisthenics. If you want to improve intermediate run distances, then you're going to have to add some 1-2 mile runs in place of 40s and shuttles I guess.

Sorry, I'm actually going to hijack this thread because I was about to ask basically the same thing. I'll throw out some other stuff though.

I'm going to follow the program as written except I don't do snatches because I am totally uncomfortable, and I don't have room for long sprints so I'll have to do intervals on a treadmill or shuttles in a basketball court.

I'm going to follow their diet (http://talktomejohnnie.com/diet/what-should-i-eat <safe>) as clean as I can at around 4,000 cals, 300g+ protein, 300g+ carbs, and around 100g fats. I'm 6'1'', 188 lbs.

The one thing I need to know is what to do for assistance on the strength workout. But does this all seem right to you guys?

Last edited by Carlos Alvarez : 05-19-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Nabil Taif

Profile:

[quote=Carlos Alvarez;938493]I'm about to start the program myself. The feedback all over has been positive as sport training. However, it going to focus more on strength than calisthenics. If you want to improve intermediate run distances, then you're going to have to add some 1-2 mile runs in place of 40s and shuttles I guess.
QUOTE]

Yeah your right, I am going to be adjusting the actual distances, but interval training is a great way to build up a speedy 1.5.

For instance, I am going to start out running at a 9minute 1.5 pace but for a distance of like 1/4 mile, and do that interval 8-10 times. Working my way up to probably 3miles at an 18 minute pace.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil Taif View Post
Hi,

I am new to CF and such and I was wondering if anyone could briefly share their success stories with the CrossFit Football program?

I am starting this program and hoping to achieve my goals of increased muscle size, strength, callisthenic movements such as chinups and pushups and a 9min or less 1.5 mile run.

Thanks!
We have had excellent success using it at my affiliate. We dabbled with it for a long time due to the overall strength aspects, but after hosting a John and Rafael for a CFFB cert last year we got really into it. Our success story:

Every year at Fort Meade there's a competition called the Super Squad Combat Skills Race. The event looks like this:

Six person teams, carrying five 35 pound rucks between them.

Six+ mile road course with stops for

- USMC Obstacle course
- 500M stretcher carry
- 500M fireman carry (teams carries one member any way)
- squad pushups
- squad situps
- 600M swim relay (100M ea)
- 600M bear crawl relay (the worst part of the whole thing)
- 500M log carry

For time.

Last year we threw the Navy team together out of my affiliate a week before the race and took third out of five (Army, Navy, USAF, USMC and the local SWAT)

This year, after writing our own programming using CFFB protocols we came in second, but that's not the real story.

Last year's standings:

1 - SWAT at 1:48
2 - USMC 2:02
3 - USN 2:12
4 - Army at some really long time
5 - USAF DNF

This year's standing:

1 - USMC 1:56
2 - USN 1:57
3 - SWAT 1:59
4 - Army 2:28
5 - USAF 2:28 (actual finish was 2:17 but they took a 12 minute time penalty)

So the top three tightened WAY up, and the all-CF Navy team got a lot more competitive. From talking to the the SWAT and USMC teams, we learned that they train to the event all year and run the actual course several times. We once again threw our team together from our more solid athletes and went at it. I count that as a pretty solid benefit from CFFB.

As an added bonus, while the USAF wasn't competitive they did at least finish the race this year and had two of our trainers on their team.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Lee A Koboroff

Profile:

I have been doing CFFB for about 6 months now and have found it to be quite good. I have had a fantastic improvement in strength and actually dropped a fair bit of body fat. The running aspect is definently focused on short sprints - be careful about adding longer runs in as they will hamper your recovery
Old 05-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Nabil Taif

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
We have had excellent success using it at my affiliate. We dabbled with it for a long time due to the overall strength aspects, but after hosting a John and Rafael for a CFFB cert last year we got really into it. Our success story:

Every year at Fort Meade there's a competition called the Super Squad Combat Skills Race. The event looks like this:

Six person teams, carrying five 35 pound rucks between them.

Six+ mile road course with stops for

- USMC Obstacle course
- 500M stretcher carry
- 500M fireman carry (teams carries one member any way)
- squad pushups
- squad situps
- 600M swim relay (100M ea)
- 600M bear crawl relay (the worst part of the whole thing)
- 500M log carry

For time.

Last year we threw the Navy team together out of my affiliate a week before the race and took third out of five (Army, Navy, USAF, USMC and the local SWAT)

This year, after writing our own programming using CFFB protocols we came in second, but that's not the real story.

Last year's standings:

1 - SWAT at 1:48
2 - USMC 2:02
3 - USN 2:12
4 - Army at some really long time
5 - USAF DNF

This year's standing:

1 - USMC 1:56
2 - USN 1:57
3 - SWAT 1:59
4 - Army 2:28
5 - USAF 2:28 (actual finish was 2:17 but they took a 12 minute time penalty)

So the top three tightened WAY up, and the all-CF Navy team got a lot more competitive. From talking to the the SWAT and USMC teams, we learned that they train to the event all year and run the actual course several times. We once again threw our team together from our more solid athletes and went at it. I count that as a pretty solid benefit from CFFB.

As an added bonus, while the USAF wasn't competitive they did at least finish the race this year and had two of our trainers on their team.
Solid reply! Thank you greatly for the shared info and numerical data, it's much appreciated!
I will definately be giving CFFB a thorough run through now.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Nabil Taif

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Koboroff View Post
I have been doing CFFB for about 6 months now and have found it to be quite good. I have had a fantastic improvement in strength and actually dropped a fair bit of body fat. The running aspect is definently focused on short sprints - be careful about adding longer runs in as they will hamper your recovery
Yeah that is something that I am concerned with. I figured that if I start out with smaller intervals like 1/4 mile sprints at pace (18 min 3 mile run = 6 min mile, or 1:30 1/4 mile) and do that 8-10 times, slowly working my way up I would hopefully reduce the overtraining possibility.

It is either that, or I entirely drop the odd strength day in favor of some endurance running.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
David Z Sachs

Profile:

5RMs
Bench: 115->135
Squat: 160 -> 210
Press: 85-> 110
Deadlift: 235-> 285
Powercleans: 100 -> 130(my form on these needs a lot of work)
1.5 Mile run: 11:48 -> 11:13 - happy about this, as the one worry I had was getting slower. Clearly not happening! Felt easier too.

This is a little more than a month into it. I love the program. I haven't tested my 1.5 mile run in a little while, but I can only imagine it will get better.

I've been weak for a long time, and got skinny fat as a lot of people on here will call it. For awhile I was doing Crossfit with 2 CFE workouts mixed in, but that was getting me no where in the strength department. I figured I'd slow down a bit, as I was 5'8 160 before. I'm up to 169 right now and still pushing towards 180. I feel I've only gained endurance and speed by putting on weight, as it's clear to me how weak I was before.

If you're going to do it, two things you have to do:

Follow the program. If you are not a trainer with a lot of experience training athletes and yourself, do not make up your own programming. The program works.

Eat. Eat. Eat. I'm not doing GOMAD, but I am drinking about 1/3 a gallon of milk a day, some days 1/2. and eating 2400-3000 calories of food on top of that. The worst thing you can do is try to gain big while eating little.

CFFB works and is a great program for building strength while maintaining conditioning, and building a lot more explosiveness.