CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Chris Cypert

Profile:  
This isn't really an "injury" question, but it belongs here more than anywhere else. I know that everyone who does CF experiences hand problems (ie callouses, blisters, peeling skin, etc.). What tricks do you guys use for hand care? I know that until you build up the requisite callouses then blisters are the name of the game (I'm past that stage), but how do you keep your callouses from constantly peeling? I currently use "Bag Balm" and it does okay, but I was wondering if there is a miracle cure to keep your hands from peeling yet yet not making them soft.

On another note, my girlfriend is now drinking the CF cool aid but is concerned about keeping her hands from looking like mine (which look like any CF'ers...covered in callouses that are in various stages of development/deterioration. Any tips on ladies hand care from the xx chromosome CF'ers out there?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Jamila Bey

Profile:
EVERY SINGLE NIGHT gently pumice the callouses. I do this in the shower or bath.

Also, each and every time you wash your hands, use the thickest lotion or cream you can stand. Too thick- no such thing! That's what paper towels are for. I use Vaseline and pay particular attention to the cuticle area and palms.

Who knew I'd be giving beauty tips on the boards here!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Sandpaper.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

The following is a former post of mine on this subject which you may find helpful.

"Probably the most over-used part of a gymnast's body is his hands. Rips, blisters and torn callouses are an unfortunate fact of everyday life for us. Over the years we have tried many methods of dealing with them.

First and foremost of these is reasonable moderation. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your callouses be. You would like to work up to the edge of a rip, but not over that edge into an actual rip. It takes much longer to heal an injury and completely regrow new callous than to add another layer to an old. Also don't discount the negative impact unnecessary rips will have on your training.

The most efficient method that we have found to promote new callous growth is simple but rather painful. It is also an excellent way to promote callous health when you hands are simply "hot".

1) Remove the torn callous; trimming as closely to the edge of the wound as comfortably possible.

2) Smooth the edges of the wound with either a razor blade (proceed slowly!) or a pumice stone. These are available in handled versions as foot callous scrappers at all drug stores.

3) Now soak your torn callous in a bowl of water super-saturated with salt (to supersaturate continue adding salt to a warm container of water until the salt in no longer able to continue dissolving and you have a small amount of undissolved salt in the bottom) several times a day for at least 10 minutes.

Initially this may be quite painful. How painful will depend on the depth of the rip. If it is a very deep "bloody" rip, you are in for an interesting experience. It is necessary however as we need to encourage the growth of callous immediately, rather than new soft pink skin that will simply re-tear right away anyway. Unless the blister is unusually deep, in one to two days it should be mostly healed - compared to the 5-7 days needed for conventional treatments.

4) Use just enough medicated chapstick (my personal choice as you can easily carry it in your pocket) to prevent drying to such an extent that the rip cracks. Do not however use Neosporin or something similar; in my experience the use of these type of products will promote the growth of new skin rather than a protective sheath of callous."

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=512003
Old 02-13-2006, 02:12 AM   #5
Chris Cypert

Profile:  
Thanks guys! My gf was worried that hers was a stupid question and would be ridiculed. She's come away impressed with how supportive and mature the CF Cult...er...uh...community is :0)
Old 02-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Jamila Bey

Profile:
That's CULTure my friend!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
"CULTure", I like that Jamila. I will definitely have to use that one on my wife. She teases me whenever I talk about you CFers. She calls it a cult. I say no, it is a way of life. Funny thing is, I will be giving her a drink of the CF Kool-Aid soon also, because she is definitely seeing the benefits in me physically and emotionally. I guess I might be recruiting another one. I’ll make sure to start her off a little slower so as not to scare her off. She gets skittish of new things. Kinda like a little bunny rabbit. :lol:
Old 02-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hey Chris, thanks for serving this great country that we live in. LOL
Old 02-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Another vote for sandpaper. I find that pumice stones clog up too quickly.

It's amazing how smooth hands can get after a quick session with 100-grit.

(Message edited by lincoln on February 15, 2006)
Old 02-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #10
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Until the recent seminar when Coach joked about using Surform planes (a woodworking tool), I thought I had a dirty little secret and would be considered even more of a nut than I normally am if I ever talked about it, but I personally like the Microplane products (they are a competitor of Surform) They have a product for feet, but the rounded woodworking tools work great to shave down hand & feet calluses.

http://www.microplane.com/html/tools/snapin31104.html