CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Mark Reinke

Profile:
The Gray Cook/Mike Boyle interview back on the community board please

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36909

This thread has some good merit to it. Not a place for Pukie's Bucket.

Last edited by Mark Reinke : 09-11-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: The Gray Cook/Mike Boyle interview back on the community board please

When I've had time to actually watch it, I'll make a judgement about where it belongs.

A little history: some of the most unpleasant stuff that ever happened on this board, and some of the sadder moments in our history, started with a thread that basically said: "Look at what someone is saying about CF over there!". Nothing seems to bring out the nastiness quite like that.

I was a moderator then, and I failed (utterly) to act on my resonsibilty to squelch it . . . and therefore indirectly caused some of the pain.

I don't intend to repeat that. Sorry if I err on the side of caution.

I'm working about 80 hours / week right now, which means I don't have a spare 20 or 30 minutes to watch the video. Have patience, I'll get to it.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Mark Reinke

Profile:

No problem Dave, I support your judgment. As this interview follows along the lines of, "look at what these guys are saying about CrossFit!". This could definitely spark some controversy and get out of control quickly. I know Coach responded to Boyle a while back with a well supported argument (CF Journal: Evidence Based Fitness).

Last edited by Mark Reinke : 09-11-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Sarah Scholl

Profile:
The podcast in Pukies Bucket

did anyone else listen to the strength coach podcast in the bucket thread?

go listen to it!

I have to say...there is a part that I agree with. I think that there should be a screening for people to participate in crossfit.

As an ATHLETE...who can perform oly lifts, crank out the WODs as Rxd, and is using CF to achieve other athletic goals...I get OFFENDED when regulars tell me that they do crossfit, "just like you!"...let me give you an example...

I am a strength coach..one of my clients today was telling me that her dental hygenist ( who I know), is "doing what you do!" The hygenist had told her that she was 'competing' in crossfit, and my client now thinks that this woman does what I do...without putting it into words..you can understand why this should not be.

crossfit needs to be more exsclusive and less inclusive IMO...more strength screenings...
this will elevate the crossfit program and will also prevent all of these lawsuits.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Re: The podcast in Pukies Bucket

It would appear that people are determined to talk about it.

Putting it in Pukie wasn't enough of a hint?

Fine, feel free . . . but I will shut it down / ban users for violations of the AUP.

Folks, this is a great opportunity to take a deep breath and think of the big picture before posting.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

I support crossfit 100%! I just think it should be made into more of a sport...with tryouts, and teams!
the teams could be coached by affiliate owners..coaches..and train together, compete in competitions. They could become professional athletes in crossfit..get sponsored...HOW AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I mean...football isnt "mechanically correct" ...but it seperates the athletes from the regulars and allows the athletes to do the work that they are capable of!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

sorry if i caused you stress David! not my intention at all
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Sarah,
I love your enthusiasm but I utterly disagree with you. I think 90% of the board wouldn't make the cut including mods and very smart people. I think there is a place for all of us at this table.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
I'm working about 80 hours / week right now, which means I don't have a spare 20 or 30 minutes to watch the video. Have patience, I'll get to it.
David

Sorry my 9 am attempt at subtle English humor did not go down to well at 2 am where you are.

I never thought you would actually put it in the bucket before any violations of the AUP.

That takes 'pre-emptive' action to a whole new level.

Last edited by Jerry Mobbs : 09-11-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

Hi Robert!

Those who dont make the "team" can still train at the affiliate..but they would be doing a lot of skill aqcuisition and body weight work only..until they make the cut
Like all professional level sports...there are those who play recreationally. It would just allow those who want to do it as a sport, differentiate themselves from those who do it to stay in shape.