CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
David Miller

Profile:
Re: The Gray Cook/Mike Boyle interview back on the community board please

I personally think that there was maybe one good argument made in that entire interview, and that is the idea that someone who has no lifting background, and no athletic background might come in to CF and just starting whacking away at the WOD's, often including lifts that are technically difficult for a beginner like the snatch and deadlift. I know that there is plenty of info on the site that would caution against that, but I have studied this site like it was the holy grail and have still not read everything there is to read, so I could imagine a newbie coming in and missing a whole lot of the "Getting Started" tab..... However, that boils down to common sense....if you don't know what you're doing you obviously shouldn't be doing it.....I'm lucky in the fact that I have a lifting/athletic background which allowed me to have a smooth transition into CrossFit.....sorry for the long post, just wanted to put my feeble two cents in....
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Sarah, Many of us would never make the cut and yet would make great strides using a constantly varied intense program of weights, gymnastics and monostructural activities, and would have great GPP to assist us in our actual prfessions/life/rec activities. Elite is not elitist.

I'm a counselor by trade but in no way would I discourage you from advising a friend, I'm a Sailor and you can use boats. The relative difference in our abilities doesn't change the fact we are doing similar things, to the best of our abilities.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 09-11-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: More to say.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Sarah,
I love your enthusiasm but I utterly disagree with you. I think 90% of the board wouldn't make the cut including mods and very smart people. I think there is a place for all of us at this table.

Guarantee that this mod wouldn't make it. I'm old, fat, dumb, and ugly, and getting worse by the day. The only thing I have going for me is that I'm mean, too.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Mobbs View Post
I never thought you would actually put it in the bucket before any violations of the AUP.
You thought wrong.

Quote:
That takes 'pre-emptive' action to a whole new level.
And the problem with this is . . . ?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Scholl View Post
I support crossfit 100%! I just think it should be made into more of a sport...with tryouts, and teams!
the teams could be coached by affiliate owners..coaches..and train together, compete in competitions. They could become professional athletes in crossfit..get sponsored...HOW AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I mean...football isnt "mechanically correct" ...but it seperates the athletes from the regulars and allows the athletes to do the work that they are capable of!
No, no, no, no.

No.

Man, I came off of the hiatus to make a post like that. You are wrong. Stop making CrossFit into a commercial activity to make money. It is ruining what CrossFit is. That is 100% AGAINST what Glassman wanted CrossFit to be.

Please people, CrossFit is about functional movements. Why would you EXCLUDE people who need to do functional movements? Why would you screen against people learning to squat correctly?

No. CrossFit needs to go back to what it was, and drop as Coach Rip would say the interjection of the myriad of silly bull**** that has lately been put out.

On another note, hi David.

Back to lurking.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

David, Well we have that going for us, which is nice
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
No, no, no, no.

No.

Man, I came off of the hiatus to make a post like that. You are wrong. Stop making CrossFit into a commercial activity to make money. It is ruining what CrossFit is. That is 100% AGAINST what Glassman wanted CrossFit to be.

Please people, CrossFit is about functional movements. Why would you EXCLUDE people who need to do functional movements? Why would you screen against people learning to squat correctly?

No. CrossFit needs to go back to what it was, and drop as Coach Rip would say the interjection of the myriad of silly bull**** that has lately been put out.

Well, the quality is still there, even if the quantity is off.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
You thought wrong.

And the problem with this is . . . ?
What makes you think that I think its a problem?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
What makes you think that I think its a problem?

What makes you think that I think that you think that I think that you think it's a problem?

(Please don't make me go to the next level, I won't be able to parse that one . . . )
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #20
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

Hi Robert!
I understand your points...I am a professional runner...and I let you run.
But I can say that I am a professional runner and differentiate myself from those who are joggers...
I just wish there was a way to differentiate those who want to compete in crossfit at a national level versus those who just do crossfit to stay "functional".
I know coach may not have intended CF to get commercialized. But there were plenty of Under Armour and Concept II banners at the Games this year. Coach probably didnt expect the Games to be this big! Crossfit is evolving, and I think it would be incredible to make it a SPORT.