CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
I have been eating a 16 blocks a day, weigh 158lbs, and am 5'7". This is at least the 3rd time I have struggled with this, and am looking for some insight. First off, the problem. At first, the less I eat, the better I feel. Meaning keeping my fat blocks around 4x, not over eating, with the odd 12-14hour fast. (Usually not by choice, work!) In time, I notice a couple of things simultaneously, I look lean, and I start gassing in workouts. So, the obvious solution, add fat. I usually start with slowly adding it, hoping to find a magic mutliplier and stick with it. I never seem to find it. In fact I think that my body starts to hate me for ingesting all those nuts. I don't seem to see any change in body fat, nor do I overcome my gassing in workouts, the only thing I seem to get is more gas. I then try to add more blocks, go to 17 or 18. But, I never seem to be able to finish meals when prepared right, or eat all my blocks at days end. In the past I move to step 3, which is make a few more bad choices, eat foods that will let me add some weight (Insulin spike), then get back on the zone. For obvious reasons I'm looking to avoid step 3, I don't want to deviate from the zone, I am at my best when it's dialed, but need help with it.

Side notes: I measure my food. I take plenty of fish oils. Am very active, Crossfit and other sports. Keep my water intake at around 2 or more litres/day. Seem to be adding lean muscle at a slow and steady pace.

Any insight, advice, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Jason McCain

Profile:
How much fat have you worked up to when you add it to your diet? Have you done it foods other than nuts?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
Fats that I use daily are: Avocados, olive oil, almond butter, almonds, macadamia, and coconut oil.

When my daily total fat blocks gets over 125, my digestion of foods quickly goes awry.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
David Wallach

Profile:
Hmmm.. up your water to one litre/20kg of bodyweight.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
I would love to think that upping my water intake would be my fix. My quote of "Keep my water intake at around 2 or more litres/day" is the water I drink throughout the day, but doesn't include what I get from a fountain before or after workouts. (hard to count and keep track when exhausted!)

I will still work on more water intake, 3.5L/day. Maybe the answer is real simple, thanks?

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
W. Geoffrey Miller

Profile:
What do your carb blocks look like? You could always tinker around with them and eat some more "unfavorable" carbs in the meals preceding a workout...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Jason McCain

Profile:
Jordan,

Do you mean 125g of fat as opposed to 125 blocks?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Be careful with overdoing the water intake. You could end up with hyponatremia, over dilution of the soduim in your blood. It is rare but then so is rabdo and this is CF afterall.

Maybe try putting electrolytes in the water?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
Jason, I meant 125 blocks of fat.

As for the water intake, I think that's a fairly easy one to gauge. There are days where I am under, and days where I am over what I should. The color of my urine and frequency at which I urintate tell me quite clearly if I have it dialed.

Changing what I eat before and after workouts could be a nice little help. In the past, I was trying to stay away from the typical post workout recovery snack, and the "I have to eat now cause I'm working out in an hour" mentality. You know, have your body be able to workout on an empty stomach, full stomach, in the morning, evening, etc....

The question of what my carb blocks look like, here's the average day?:
a few blocks of slow cooked oatmeal
a few blocks of fruit
a few blocks from sweet potato
a few blocks from black beans
as many blocks from veggies that time will allow me to prepare: Broccoli, peppers, onions, spinach, celery, zuchinni, mushrooms, are what usually makes way onto my plate.

I fill the blanks at times with ezekial sprouted grain bread and extra fruit or dried fruit. Rarely use bars (a couple a month).