CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:
multiple WODS and PWO nutrition

Is there a general recommendation for PWO nutrition dealing with multiple WODs in a day?

I've previously have just done chocolate or whole milk depending on the WOD. But lately have upped my training volume typically strength in the morning w a shorter metcon and in the afternoon 10-15 min metcon. 2 days on 1 day off

pre WOD
banana and protein shake

post WOD
sweet potato and protein shake

Should I eat before training in the morning? I don't really want to be training in a catabolic state. But I often hear of people IF and training in the morning.

I'm not having a PWO meal like sweet potato and shake after my afternoon metcon just a regular dinner with a few extra starchy carbs. How does this sound? thx

Last edited by Eric S. Jensen : 08-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Scott Paltos

Profile:
Re: multiple WODS and PWO nutrition

E,
A lot depends on how lean you are, what your goals are, numbers and stats are, etc.

There is not a simple answer...BUT if you want a standard.

I would think about going empty stomach with some coffee in am, then a good protein shake mixed with some coconut water and a banana.

The 2nd WOD...maybe just some protein. Then 60-90mins later eat your dinner.

SP
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Scott thanks for the advice. I know I'll just have to black box it on myself a bit but I wanted a decent place to start. Not super lean or anything but athletic around 10% 192lbs today 71". Intermediate I would put most of my numbers.
300lbs bsq, 350 dead lift, 160 press 175 sn 225 cj
Fran 5:08
diane 12:20
Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

When are you training? How many times per day? When are you eating?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Chris I had been training mostly in just the afternoons and I would IF until lunch. But I'd like to try something else and I could use the extra strength work.

What I'm planning on doing would be my strength/short metcon earlier in the morning about 0700-0800. And then a longer metcon around 1600 in the afternoon. So training twice a day following a 2 on 1 off. 8-9 hrs of sleep and a nap in the morning if I need it. PWO I'll have either progenex more muscle and a sweet potato or banana, or chocolate milk and progenex if I'm out of the others. So its about 40g carbs 40g protein. Would I be better off with a 2:1 or 4:1 carb to pro ratio often touted?
my first meal would follow about 90 min after my pwo meal.
1200 lunch
1800 dinner
I eat paleo plus milk. Shooting for around 3,000 cals a day for training days and 2,500 on rest days.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post
Chris I had been training mostly in just the afternoons and I would IF until lunch. But I'd like to try something else and I could use the extra strength work.

What I'm planning on doing would be my strength/short metcon earlier in the morning about 0700-0800. And then a longer metcon around 1600 in the afternoon. So training twice a day following a 2 on 1 off. 8-9 hrs of sleep and a nap in the morning if I need it. PWO I'll have either progenex more muscle and a sweet potato or banana, or chocolate milk and progenex if I'm out of the others. So its about 40g carbs 40g protein. Would I be better off with a 2:1 or 4:1 carb to pro ratio often touted?
my first meal would follow about 90 min after my pwo meal.
1200 lunch
1800 dinner
I eat paleo plus milk. Shooting for around 3,000 cals a day for training days and 2,500 on rest days.
Ok, so just to be clear, that is 3 meals total plus the PWO shakes? What is your training goal?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Thats correct. 3 meals and the PWO "meals". I want to make it to regionals next year. I'm leaving the military here soon and going to work at a new box in MN having this summer completed the level 1. My limiting factor is strength big time. For instance a WOD w 315lb dead lifts would reck me if I even could complete it. I have been crossfitting since about 2008.

What would be some shorter goals you might recommend?

Last edited by Eric S. Jensen : 08-06-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Hmmm, ok, well first, if you want to be competitive I truly believe that Paleo won't cut it. I think you need more carbs than most people get following Paleo. You have to remember that in your case you are training for performance, not just health and body composition (which I think Paleo is really good for).

I'll give you some more thoughts tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If strength is your limiting factor I'd recommend doing any of the strength-biased programs you see discussed on here. I'm partial to GSLP because of its simplicity and the results I've seen on it myself and with others at my gym, but you can see gains on those strength numbers pretty easily with regular strength work.

As for nutrition, I agree with Chris that 100% Paleo is probably not the best option. My solution lately has been to go to the grocery store and buy quick oats in the 3lb tubs and make a few 500-700 calorie shakes per day to supplement my 3-4 meals....about 1 cup of oats, 2 scoops of whey (plug for Nitrean+ here), water, and a little coconut milk or olive oil for good fats and you've got a very convenient and tasty shake with a good dose of carbs and protein. I feel like my gains and recovery have been much better since I boosted my carb intake from ~75g a day to the 175-200g range, even if oats aren't "Paleo." And I haven't been getting soft like I did with the huge lactose doses I was getting when I did GOMAD last year. Sweet potatoes would also work well, but I like oats for convenience.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

this morning was tough working out fasted.
warm up
box sq 3sx5reps 155, 185, 205
back sq 2x5 215, 235

short metcon
30 burpee pullups
3min

PWO shake 30g pro 1/2 large sweet potato

breakfast
4oz chicken
4 slices bacon
cheeseburger patty
banana
veggies

afternoon
from Cfne
12 min AMRAP
10 toes to bar
20 box jump 24"
30 walking lunge
4 rounds plus 9 toes to bar

Pwo shake 30g protein

This is FAR to few calories for the day but as I sit here after my 2nd shake I'm full! I think I'm going to start drizzling olive oil over everything again and drinking whole milk with my meals.