CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Peter Nathan

Profile:
“Regularly learn and play new sports.”

“Regularly learn and play new sports.”
-Greg Glassman

I decided to take Coach Glassman’s directive to heart when a new gymnastic facility opened within 10 minutes of my house. I’ve wanted to try gymnastics ever since watching it with Jim McKay on “The Wide World of Sports”. Many crossfitters may not be familiar with the “The Wide World of Sports “ because it went of the air in 1997, but starting in 1961 it broadcast all sorts of different sports once a week, and I watched it religiously. Bobsled, luge, weightlifting, log rolling, wrist wrestling, cresta, volleyball, bull riding, water polo, track and field, and gymnastics were presented in an apparently random way each weekend, and I envisioned myself doing them all. I would try to recreate the competitions in my back yard or in my room.

Gymnastics always drew me in. Strength, balance, fluidity, speed, and flexibility demonstrated on bars , rings, beams and the floor. Unfortunately none of the schools I attended had gymnastics, so I relegated the idea of being a gymnast to the category of fantasy. I would become a basement gymnast.

Flash forward forty plus years and I discover CrossFit with gymnastics included in a training and conditioning program. Kipping, handstands, muscle ups, levers and more were included in daily workouts offered for free on the net. So, once again I went to my basement and backyard to attempt to perform the WODs.

It was evident that I needed competent instruction. I asked a client and friend for help, and she was able to teach me a one handed cartwheel, but I still had no access to the full range of gymnastic equipment. I called all the gymnastic centers within an hour of my house asking for adult classes or private instruction. I knew I could master the muscle up with a little instruction. Not one gym offered adult classes, and all blamed their insurance carriers. I was left to figure out the muscle up on my own. And I did, … at age 54. I felt like Kurt Thomas.

Two years later I made it to Tucker’s gymnastic cert and had a blast. L sits, handstands, muscle ups and levers. Give me more! Shortly after at a Beast Skills workshop I learned the one armed handstand. I was on a roll.

A month later, Ultimate Gymnastics opens in my town, and once again I ask about adult classes. This time is different. Every Thursday night the center offers a men’s open class for all levels. Finally I can fulfill my fantasy.

So here I am trying a new sport at 57 years of age. Front tucks, back handsprings, back tucks, and more! I feel like a kid in spite of the inevitable morning aches and pains. What have I gained? I’m not competing. I’ll never perform for anyone, and I’ll never do a tsukahara.

CrossFit has given me a great all around strength base, and has encouraged me to go for it. I gained new skills, and recaptured childhood fantasies of the “…thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.” Thanks, Coach.

Peter Nathan
GunxCrossFit
www.gunxcrossfit.com (wfs)
Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:
Re: “Regularly learn and play new sports.”

Nice man.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

This is awesome. Very inspiring.

Just goes to show that IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!!!

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Joseph Abraham

Profile:

All this at age 57!!

Wow man seriously.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Good work Nathan!
All of us young-at-heart guys need to stay at it (GOD willing, I'll be 59 in about 2 weeks and love CF!)
Old 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Best post on the boards. Thanks for sharing, Peter.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
John Harris

Profile:

So awesome!

My son is a gymnast and CrossFit has inspired me to use the equipment we have for him at home. Last week when I went to the gym to pick him up, I showed his coach my muscle up (which is very new). Loads of fun.

Thanks for the post, I think I may encourage one of the younger coaches to start an adult men's class.

Edit: Some days I feel old at 39. You, sir, are an inspiration!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Awesome! Keep us posted on your progress.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)