CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Michael V Giardina

Profile:
Develop a CF Program - How to program strength and WODs?

I want a better understanding of how to develop a CF program. I have been using the Stow Strength: A Periodized Approach to Crossfit Programming (see link below) for daily WOD development.

My major question is how to properly implement Strength/Skill into the daily plan? I am having trouble coupling good strength task with the daily WODs.

Or any good template for CF programming as a whole that works well for others.

Thanks!

http://stowstrength.blogspot.com/201...ossfit_22.html
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Develop a CF Program - How to program strength and WODs?

Where are you now and what are your goals? Do you want to focus on strength or just get some in every workout?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V Giardina View Post
I want a better understanding of how to develop a CF program. I have been using the Stow Strength: A Periodized Approach to Crossfit Programming (see link below) for daily WOD development.

My major question is how to properly implement Strength/Skill into the daily plan? I am having trouble coupling good strength task with the daily WODs.

Or any good template for CF programming as a whole that works well for others.

Thanks!

Crossfit journal tried to create something similar to this. You can't take original CF philosophy of constantly varied exercises and tie them into something as tight nit as periodized training. Periodization= structure which is what Crossfit deemed to be the enemy and they built their entire philosophy on THAT concept.

My suggestion would be to break away from that mentality first....

If you are simply trying to combine strength and conditioning that is a basic plan. Pick a structured strength program like SS, 5/3/1, GSLP etc.. where the progression and/or periodization is laid out for you, add in conditioning with your strength lifts in mind (so they don't conflict). Athletes and coaches have combined stregnth and conditioning for years and so can you. YOu can certainly "steal" some ideas from CF.

SKill work can be added anywhere. Just pick 1-2 skills at a time and work on them when you have time. Since practice shouldn't be taxing you can do it anywhere without interference.

Last edited by Jesse Martin : 04-12-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Drew Daniels

Profile:

I found it a really difficult step to decide on my workout plans when i first switched to CF. I originally was doing bodybuilding and worked on a fixed regime on mon-tues-thurs-fri.

The way I look at it now is that i ensure one day is set aside for lower body strength, one day is upper body strength. and the other days are mobilisation, skills (currently overhead squatting) and a WOD.

I would say try a few things and see how it's progressing for you. My front squat is PBing every week, as is my clean. Try and see how it works out, if you're not getting the results, change it up bro.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V Giardina View Post
My major question is how to properly implement Strength/Skill into the daily plan?

It is a little over engineered for my taste but you have two dedicated strength days a week. What would work would be 1 upper body and 1 lower body lift a week.

Upper:
Press (3x5)
Push Press (5x3)
Push Jerk (5x3)
Bench Press (3x5)

Lower:
Low bar back squat (3x5)
Front Squat (5x3)
High bar back squat (3x5)
Dead lift (1x5+)

For skill work you simple make a list of CrossFit movements you can't do or are not very good at and practice. Double unders, kipping pull ups, muscle ups, pistols, hand stand push ups, rope climbs and so on. Use progressions to learn the different skills.

This is in no way the most efficient way to do this but if your happy with that template and are getting good results then this is fine.

You would have to train the Clean & Jerk and snatch somewhere. I would vote Saturdays for Oly lifting. Most of us are not good enough at it to have it effect our recovery too much.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Steve Loeding

Profile:

You could do something like this - keep in mind the Oly lifts and power lifts are structured - starting at a medium wt with medium reps and working up to heavy wt with 1 rep at the end ( testing your max )

Sunday - Snatch + Snatch pulls + Back Squat
Monday - Wod
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - Clean and Jerk, Clean pulls, Front Squat
Thursday - Wod
Friday - Wod
Saturday - off

Put deadlifts, presses into the wods - put snatches and C&J in Friday wods on occassion ( every 2 weeks )
You should also schedule some skill work on the wod days - HSPU, DU, etc

Gives enough oly lifts, squats, barbell work and wods to keep you entertained.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Bryan Castro

Profile:

One thing I'm trying is using the Crossfit Football Strength WOD as my strength training component and after a brief rest finishing up with my WOD or other training I'm doing towards my goals. The Strength WOD gives some variation, but at least at the "amateur" level the structure is kind of predictable and gives a linear progression of improvement.

Here's kind of how my week looks (4 days a week working out now, but going to eventually increase that as I get fitter):
Monday: Strength WOD, Swimming
Wednesday: Strength WOD (from Tuesday on CFFB site); martial arts; metcon WOD
Friday: Strength WOD (from Thursday on CFFB); martial arts; running or rowing
Saturday: Strength WOD (from Friday on CFFB); martial arts; metcon WOD

I've only been dong this a couple weeks, but it is simple, and I get in all of the elements I'm looking for, with 2-3 WOD's a week for my conditioning (my martial arts training gives a bit of conditioning as well, so if I'm spent from that (e.g. heavy bagwork) then I'll skip the WOD that day.

Best regards,
Bryan