CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Lorenzo Sponzilli

Profile:
strength program

hi, for you what's the better strength program ever???
Old 06-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: strength program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Sponzilli View Post
hi, for you what's the better strength program ever???
Lorenzo - can you please ask something more specific?

You've already gone about this vague "what's the best strength training" thing at least once.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
Mat Mudroch

Profile:

I heard a lot of Crossfiters use Wendler and also like it. Try it.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Whatever I did back in HS.

Olympic Lifts and Squats 5 days a week straight. I don't remember the exact program but I think we basically lifted and squatted and pressed with some auxiliary work for 90 minutes. BS were usually for 3-5 or singles and FS for 3's or singles but occasionally we did supersets of 20 for the OHS and we were supposed to do those with 10lbs over BW. We also did these for BS but that's the only OHS sets I remember, never for 1's or 3's. Ascending or straight across.

I don't remember ever feeling sore really nor did I really worry about how much protein I was getting or PWO protein and I wasn't on the creatine like the football players. I do remember being out of it a bit the next period (which was luckily computer class that I could just sit and type. 2nd semester was even better as weight training was my last class of the day that I got out early so I could go home and snack and be back to T&F by 3ish).

After 3 months I was squatting 315@152 BS and 235 FS. Might have been less then 3 months but I think we tested in December and started the last week of August/beginning of September.

To be 17/18 again.

Right now, I'm following the Squat program that Glenn does with a bit of modification. I liked 2 days of BS and FS every week but it's only good for a cycle before I get crushed over time.

I liked 531 when I did it because I still got to lift in the gym but it was also very efficient with my time and the warmup sets worked well and I had been wanting to try it for quite awhile at that point.

So, basically squat and press and pull and lift as much as you can without utterly crushing yourself. Figuring out what that is can be tricky though.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Jason Denny

Profile:

Love 5/3/1