CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Hey guys,

I hope this qualifies as a digital coaching request. (If not, I appreciate the efforts of our Moderators to move it to the right place. Thanks, Lynne!)

I'm competing in the Connecticut Open on August 5th (Oly Meet), and I'm preparing by writing my training program. I've never designed a program for Olympic lifting before, so I would appreciate some feedback from those more in the know.

A little background: This will be my third comp, and I have about four months of dedicated Oly training to date. In my first comp I went 6 for 6 and totaled 140 kilos (60/80) with 2-3 kilos in the bank for the snatch and 5+ kilos in the bank for the C&J. Every attempt was powered up. In fact, my Coach thought it was pretty funny that I went to a meet and didn't squat once. My second comp is this weekend (Sunday), hence the program starting next Tuesday.

My technique is decent, but my jerk is lacking, as is my snatch. I can pull under 91kg+ in a full squat clean, but I cannot jerk it. Also, I have a problem with stability in the receiving position of the snatch if I get below parallel. I designed this program to address those weaknesses, concentrating on the jerk in weeks 1-4, the snatch in weeks 5-8, and the competition lifts in weeks 9 and 10 with a taper/prep week during week 11.

At this point, I think any training would help me improve, but why not do it right?

I'd love to hear what you all think of this program.

Best,

Jon

Attached Files
File Type: email CT Open Program.xls (36.5 KB, 269 views)
Old 05-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Jon,
Looks like a well-thought out program. The one comment I have is be prepared to make adjustments as the program goes on. If technique is not coming along as well as you need it too, be prepared to incorporate additional drills to address specific technical or flexibility issues. I might add some bar-only drills in addition to the drills you are already using that use some weight.

Also, post video so we can see your squat snatch and jerk problems in action so to speak.

good luck,
Linc
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Thanks, Lincoln. I'll have some video up on Monday, as we'll just film my attempts at the VT Open this weekend.

I think your suggestion regarding drills is a good one. Anything that gets me into a rock-bottom receiving position for the snatch will be a good thing.

By the way, I'll be in Sedona on 28th through the 30th, and I'd love to get some coaching at your place or at Peaks' if you're amenable (at your going rate, of course).

Best,

Jon

Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Absolutely. I've already got you penciled into my calendar.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Jon - Could you email me or point me to a site for registering for the CT open? I def want to do this. I've gotten in about 3 workouts with Coach Burgener this past week and I've now had a chance to see 3 national champs in action - Natalie Woolfolk, Casey Burgerner, and Aimee Anaya. Man, truly inspiring.

Anyway, maybe we can carpool or at least meet up at the CT meet - or get in a workout or two leading up to the competition. I will be at 85kg in the old f@rt division (35-39).

Thanks for any help! (Hey, can you believe that f@rt is blocked by the filter?)
Old 05-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Dale,

I'll do you one better. Here is the entry form, for you and anyone else that would like to participate. I'm sure Gary Valentine, the meet organizer, won't mind, as it will amount to more exposure for the USAW.

Regarding the workouts and the carpool, just shoot me an email: jon@againfaster.com. I'd love to meet up and get something going.

Before this gets moved away from digital coaching, I'd love some more feedback on the actual content of my program. Do the progressions and rep schemes seem sound? Is the volume drop-off during weeks 10 and 11 too much?

Thanks!

Best,

Jon

Attached Files
File Type: doc CT Open Entry Form.doc (144.0 KB, 1447 views)
Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Eric O'Connor

Profile:
John, I think that the program looks well thought out and agree with what Lincoln has to say. I do have one question though. If the jerk is the emphasis in the first 4 weeks, have you considered having a day where the Jerk is the first exercise in your workout so that you can devote maximum effort on that lift? I know, for me at least, that heavy cleans or front squats can be pretty tiring and my second exercises may suffer a little bit.
Good Luck in your competition.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Jon,
Since the digital coaching section is specifically for video/photo analysis, it has to go somewhere else ... unless you post up some video for folks to critique. So, get some pixels up or it's off to Fitness with ya!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Eric,

Good point! I'll look at moving those jerks to the front of the line!

Lynne,

Bear with me for one more day, and I'll have all kinds of video up. Going up to VT with Neal for the competition tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, here's some video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQVD...elated&search=

Old 05-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The elbows rotate into position too slowly. The rack position should be finalized at the bottom of the clean, not the top. Whip those elbows into position! Faster! Faster! No... FASTER!