CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
What should I do after a car accident?

I was rear ended last night on the freeway. I was then pushed into the car in front of me so I had some nice whiplash going on. My car is in pretty bad shape but I was able to walk away from the accident feeling ok. Today, my neck is starting to get a little stiff.

My question is injury in nature but also goes a bit beyond. Should I see a Doc, chiro, someone else? Do I need to speak with a lawyer after an accident or just go straight through the insurance?

Im not one for trying to screw the system, but on the other hand, I dont want to be paying for something down the road (hah hah, "road" "accident".....crickets......).

Anyways, thanks for your input.

Nick

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8108/img7165wy2.jpg
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: What should I do after a car accident?

I would say contrast and ibuprofen for anti inflamatory and certianly go to the hospital and get it checked out. I've had a few friends get injured and the sysmptons didn't show up till a day or two.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Contact insurance company, go see a Dr., then contact a lawyer. Believe me the person you got pushed into will probably sue you and right on down the line. Keep everything documented and consider suing the insurance company of the person that hit you. Not to sound sue happy but something similar happend to me and even though I was not the cause of the accident money was going to come out of my pocket----Not fair. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Also get a copy of the accident report.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cruz View Post
I was rear ended last night on the freeway. I was then pushed into the car in front of me so I had some nice whiplash going on. My car is in pretty bad shape but I was able to walk away from the accident feeling ok. Today, my neck is starting to get a little stiff.

My question is injury in nature but also goes a bit beyond. Should I see a Doc, chiro, someone else? Do I need to speak with a lawyer after an accident or just go straight through the insurance?

Im not one for trying to screw the system, but on the other hand, I dont want to be paying for something down the road (hah hah, "road" "accident".....crickets......).

Anyways, thanks for your input.

Nick

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8108/img7165wy2.jpg
Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you are OK.........You probably feel like you were run over by a truck today.

Did the Chippies come out and take a report? Also, was anyone injured as a result of the collision. If there were injuries, the collision report will by policy, be more in-depth. Non-injury collisions are almost always reported in a more simple manner and format.

Contact the office (if the collision was investigated) having jurisdiction for that portion of Freeway. You should have gotten a card from the investigating officer with contact info by which you can get a copy of the report. Go right to the office, even if the report isn't ready, and get a copy of the face page of the report. You are entitled to it, since you were an involved party.

Do not give anyone (other than your insurance agent or the investigating agency) any information. They will likely use it against you later.

Obtain medical attention for any malady you might be suffereing from (complaint of pain, etc.) and obtain documentation for the injury and treatment. If you have medical coverage on your insurance, utilize that for your treatment and let them go after the person who caused the collision for reimbursement.

Also, a word of advice.....If you can delay contacting an attorney, do so. Even your insurance company will not talk to you the moment an attorney becomes involved with a collision investigation, even if you are not at fault. If your own insurance company stonewalls you, then let them know of your intentions to contact an attorney. If they are smart, they will change their tune immediately. Also, the other party's insurance should pay for a rental car for your use until your car can be repaired or replaced. Please forgive my holding forth....I just retired from the CHP, so I'm into the collision investigation thing. Hope this info helps!.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
Mindy Griffin

Profile:

The only thing I can add to that is: find out if the other guy(s) have insurance. If they don't, that might effect your decision on whether or not the get a lawyer.

Also to reieterate what Stephen said....document document document!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Thanks for the advice!

Ive done everything mentioned here except call a lawyer. I would like to see what happens with the insurance first before I go down that road. Ive already been to the chiropractor for my sore neck and back spasms. I was able to obtain the top sheet of the accident report and the only injuries were mine. All other parties left the scene in their own cars.

I just found out that the insurance will be totalling my car so now I need to begin my search. I really loved my car though, so I am quite bummed about that. The real shame is that I just waxed my car, brand new brakes, new foglights AND I just finished making payments on it. Literally within days!! I was so looking forward to having no car payments for a long while!

As for the driver who hit me, he is a Chinese national with an international Chinese drivers license. I think he is a student at CSUF or FJC. He does hves insurance through progressive so I think Im ok there. I will be contacting them today to see what they want to do.

Again, thank you for your advice and concern. If there is anything else to add, please do so!

Nick
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Ian Jaeger

Profile:

MRI... do your entire back. When the same thing happened to me, I was lucky enough to be the passenger in the first car to get hit (crazy chica hit us, we hit someone else, they hit person in front of them) so the insurance company of the person I was with paid for everything for me, and then THEY went after the other insurance company. I was OK for about 3 days, then it got bad, I couldn't sleep right for about 2 months. But the MRI showed that I'd heal up and now the only lingering effect is a ringing in my ears that hasn't completely gone away.

BUT... I was told by the docs that you can do injury to your neck / back in an accident like this that wont show up for years - i.e. when you stop being physically active and lose joint mobility.

If it shows up on the MRI now, they can fix it before it becomes a problem and you only get 2 years in most states to make a claim.

Especially if you saw the hit coming you need to get it done. If you didn't see it coming (like me) you were probably much more relaxed and less likely to suffer real damage - ironically.

Good luck.

-Ian