CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Coworker came to me for advice

So, Im know around the office as generally the fittest person with the best eating habits and I have been asked numerous times about working out and helping with diet which has been awesome! I love helping my friends and coworkers and I love to see their excitement over their own positive results!

My question today is about a coworker who is quite obese. His story is typical in that he used to be able to do a lot of stuff very actively and things just went downhill over time. He is about 45-50 years old and is going to start walking and going to the gym to try and get back in shape. His question today for me was if I knew of anything that could hep remove fat while he was walking. I started going over the zone diet and how it helped me and that taking supplements or diet pills were just going to treat the symptoms and not the cause. He seems pretty aware that the crap he eats is what is doing him in and it sounds to me like he is ready to make the change to a healthier lifestyle.

So, Ive recommended that he pick up Enter the Zone and to ask me any questions he might have about diet and exercise and I would try and answer them or find out the answer and let him know. Is there anything else that you would recommend he get started on? I was going to ask him if his gym had a rower, because I am aware of the great benefits of this piece of equipment. Would you recommend that he find a CF gym nearby and jump in? I dont want to put too much on his plate, but I do know that HIIT is almost the end all be all of fat loss (in addition to a clean diet) but I dont know how that really applies to people so overweight.

Thanks for your recommendations! I love to see people change their ways to be healthier!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Dan Morgan

Profile:
Re: Coworker came to me for advice

I'd tell him about paleo too. As Tony Budding said on CF Radio, it's probably easier for someone who is out of shape to stick to than Zone, although I guess if he can do it Paleo and Zone would work!!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cruz View Post
So, Im know around the office as generally the fittest person with the best eating habits and I have been asked numerous times about working out and helping with diet which has been awesome! I love helping my friends and coworkers and I love to see their excitement over their own positive results!

My question today is about a coworker who is quite obese. His story is typical in that he used to be able to do a lot of stuff very actively and things just went downhill over time. He is about 45-50 years old and is going to start walking and going to the gym to try and get back in shape. His question today for me was if I knew of anything that could hep remove fat while he was walking. I started going over the zone diet and how it helped me and that taking supplements or diet pills were just going to treat the symptoms and not the cause. He seems pretty aware that the crap he eats is what is doing him in and it sounds to me like he is ready to make the change to a healthier lifestyle.

So, Ive recommended that he pick up Enter the Zone and to ask me any questions he might have about diet and exercise and I would try and answer them or find out the answer and let him know. Is there anything else that you would recommend he get started on? I was going to ask him if his gym had a rower, because I am aware of the great benefits of this piece of equipment. Would you recommend that he find a CF gym nearby and jump in? I dont want to put too much on his plate, but I do know that HIIT is almost the end all be all of fat loss (in addition to a clean diet) but I dont know how that really applies to people so overweight.

Thanks for your recommendations! I love to see people change their ways to be healthier!!!
You gave great advice for him to start with diet. What he does for exercise is probably not that important right now since it is unlikely he has much work capacity for exercise. Its great that he has started to develop an interest in exercise, but he will have to get calorie intake under control for exercise to matter. Zone, Paleo, meticulous calorie counting, whatever works for him.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
John Kolody II

Profile:

Nick,

As a former fatty, and currently back to a state of fatness that I don't like I can give a little advice maybe from his perspective or at least mine. Just for reference in May of 2006 I was 360, in July of 2007 I was down to 295, and stayed between 295-305 until may of 2008, now I am back to 345-350, at a height of 6'4".

I can say that the first thing I needed to do was get portion sizes of my meals in check. Along with that there needed to be better food choices being made. I will say that this alone helped get rid of most of the fat I lost. This is also what is personally the hardest for me to wrap my head around.

As far as exercise and wanting to accellerate fat loss the HIIT and various intervals, barbell complexes will work the best. I enjoy some heavy lifting as well. The mistake I make and what you don't want your coworker to do is get going to "fast". What I mean is too much diet info, too much measuring, worrying about sets and percentages, an rest periods, etc.

Let him get the diet and food in check, let him do the exercises he likes, rowing is technical and is hard to do with a gut. If he walks a track have him walk the curves and jog the straights. This will work its way up to jog the curves and sprint the straights. If he walks the neighborhood or some trail just have him try picking up the pace for short distances, or try to cover the same distance every week in less time.

With the weights start low, go slow, use some barbell complexes and some heavy lifting, mix it up. In other words don't make the Snatch the first lift to learn.

Starting CF sure, any local affiliate should be able to help your friend/coworker and you progress through this also. They should know when to push and when to back off.

1. Diet
2. Exercise he likes
3. New Exercises

Can't think of anything else. Diet and exercise the two things nobody wants to do to change the way they look and feel.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Mark Bullard

Profile:

I am kind of in the same boat. 6'2" 295# (but not in a good way). I started the Zone 10 days ago and feel much better. Went for my free 1st CF visit to an affiliate about 6 weeks ago and barely made it through the warmup. Did 5 x 500 on the rower with 30 seconds rest in between and could barely walk for 4 days.

I just got my own rower as a gift/hand-me-down (it owned me that day so it feels good to return the favor) and have been doing the CFE workout on it every other day and filling in the gaps with scaled Cindy. I think I am definitely seeing better progress than I would had I walked for an hour each day. Although I probably wouldn't have felt like throwing up as often had I just walked.

I am looking forward to going back and joining that affiliate, but until I build a certain base by following the same philosophy I just don't think I could do enough to justify the money. I am reading the message boards and the Journals and am trying to get there. That is the next goal. Keep working out on my own until I feel able to join the community.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Mat Frankel

Profile:

For someone who has been eating a pretty poor diet and is just falt out new to it all, IMO, it is MUCH better to first explain to them that food quality and choices are the most important part of the diet. You can eat only 1 scoop of ice cream and t whole wheat sandwitch and 1 serving of cereal a day and be skinny but you WILL NOT be healthy. I would go back to him and explain what Paleo is and that the first thign he should do is focus on making better food choices. Clean out the kitchen, pantry and go buy healthy food. You can print off a grocery list from Robb Wolfs website under FAQ's and tell him to have balanced meals with proteins, veggies and fats. By changing the quality it will be easier to dial in quantity once he sees results.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Renee Lee

Profile:

I agree with everybody that's said it's probably more important at the moment to deal with the quality of his food choices, rather than the quantity.

Talk to him about the Paleo diet/Primal blueprint. Even without monitoring quantity, you will lose weight with both of these.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will talk to him some more today about it all and share the websites with him as well.

Thanks again!