CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #121
Danni Coffman

Profile:
Re: 60 vs. 90 min. aerobic for weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
Where's the 24 hour event at? Got a strategy in mind? Good luck with it!
Yeah which one? I am thinking about doing the Pacific Rim 24 hour (1 mile loop) but can't decide whether it makes sense given my goal race (I'm training for Western States). I think it sounds really fun though. I did a marathon in that format and thought it was awesome.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #122
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Even here, there are different levels of insanity or sanity depending on your perspective.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #123
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni Coffman View Post
Yeah which one? I am thinking about doing the Pacific Rim 24 hour (1 mile loop) but can't decide whether it makes sense given my goal race (I'm training for Western States). I think it sounds really fun though. I did a marathon in that format and thought it was awesome.
It's the Athens International Ultramarathon in Greece. There's a 24hr, 48hr, 72hr, and 7 day but I've never run 24 so I'll stick with that. I've never been to Greece so it'll be like a mini-vacation. I've always thought the best way to see a place was by running the area because you never forget places in which you run, at least I don't.

I guess it'll be a sort of prep for Vermont this year (assuming I get in). My goal is just to finish the entire run and see what sort of numbers I can put up. Less pressure for cutoffs, no mountains, and logistics will be cake, so I think I should do okay.

Did you get a slot for Western States this year or next?

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 02-17-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #124
Danni Coffman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
It's the Athens International Ultramarathon in Greece. There's a 24hr, 48hr, 72hr, and 7 day but I've never run 24 so I'll stick with that. I've never been to Greece so it'll be like a mini-vacation. I've always thought the best way to see a place was by running the area because you never forget places in which you run, at least I don't.

I guess it'll be a sort of prep for Vermont this year (assuming I get in). My goal is just to finish the entire run and see what sort of numbers I can put up. Less pressure for cutoffs, no mountains, and logistics will be cake, so I think I should do okay.

Did you get a slot for Western States this year or next?
I bet you'll do awesome -- and Vermont is supposed to be a great race. I hope you get in!!! Aaaaah Greece. That's so cool!!!!

I got in to WS last year -- thus I was automatically able to run this year (everyone who was on the list last year rolled over to this year). Not wanting to waste my training last year I ran Headlands.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #125
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
I know the RD at PacRim and the course is easy with good support. If you've already experienced being on your feet for 24 hours or longer, then PacRim wouldn't make any sense to do (unless you plan on just going there but for less time & distance). But since you've already done the Headlands 100, you've already experienced being on your feet for 24+ hours - so PacRim is totally optional.

Good luck at Western States dude! I'm praying for better conditions for everyone there this year...like NO fires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post

Interesting. Didn't know that Greece had another event other than the Spartathon. My friends who raced that loved being out there.

And good strategy on doing a 24 hr as prep to Vermont to know what your body will feel like being on your feet that long. Sounds like you've got a solid plan!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #126
Kevin ONeall

Profile:

Quote:

I'm new here, mainly lurking, but I can offer two cents worth of experience; I've done a dozen 24 hr races. It may help you to survive the run if you take regular walking breaks. Generally I walk 10 minutes for every hour of running. Many on the ultra boards walk one minute, run nine.

Often the worst part is the nighttime, when you're sleep deprived, knees are screaming, hips burning and whatever you've eaten comes right back up. Believe it or not, it mostly mental at that point.