CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Jeff Oldham

Profile:
Re: My take on CF (what I'm thankful for)

I'm grateful that the Glassman's pursued CrossFit and were able to put it on the web as a free resource for people interested in training. Overall, they've created a pretty much fun way to train and associate with people with similar interests. I also thank all the folks who work with the Glassman's to keep the resource available.

I'm also very grateful to Jeff Martin for the scaling. Thanks all.

Last edited by Jeff Oldham : 02-06-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: repeated word
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
Wade Smith

Profile:

I'm thankful for CrossFit for multiple reasons but I'll list my top one: Education --- I have learned so much from so many different resources and people via CF; far more than previous decades in and out of fitness, lifting, sports, etc.

From the coaching, the online camaraderie, the community, the instructional videos, the shared knowledge base, everything. It's amazing how much I have learned in my short 8 months as a member in the CF community. CrossFit is an amazing blessing.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
Bob Guere

Profile:

Great thread, well done.

I'm thankful for my health, without which I would not be doing Crossfit. I'm thankful for the health of my family, without which THEY wouldn't be doing Crossfit. (got the 11yo daughter doing CFkids sporadically now).

And I'm thankful for people like the Glassman's and everyone on this board that give to the rest of us without asking for anything in return.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I'm thankful for CrossFit because it has finally given me an interest in life that I feel is really worth pursuing.

I'm a computer-guy by nature, so most of my life before January of 2007 was spent in front of a computer, playing video games or doing something like that. All of my jobs/hobbies had something to do with computers: be it programming, gaming, or what have you.

When CrossFit came along, courtesy of a friend's recommendation, I just took to it 100%. Not only did I invest every bit of myself into the workouts, but I became immersed and intrigued by the philosophy and the science. Soon I was learning about nutrition, metabolic pathways, and all sorts of incredible crap I'd never ever had any sort of interest in before.

It's rare for something new to come into your life, and within a month's time become your full-time passion. Very rare. For this I am thankful.

It's provided me with a hobby that I enjoy pursuing; it's provided me with health and knowledge as well as the ability to pass that health and knowledge on to others who seek it; it's completely changed 75% of my lifestyle. Instead of coming home and playing video games (not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you truly enjoy doing), I come home and browse the boards, read the comments, watch the videos, and learn.

Until CrossFit, my dreams of pursuing careers in law enforcement or military service had been just that: dreams. I have a new appreciation for the things in my life now, and new goals for the future.

Many close friends admire my passion for it, but don't quite take to it the same way that I did. Some don't understand it. I don't even understand it sometimes. I just find it absolutely incredible that something which, for 22 years I had no interest in whatsoever, has become the staple of my every day life. Incredible. (Sappy, I know).

In short, CrossFit has both literally, spiritually and metaphorically saved my life.

Excellent thread (I think I've seen others like it, but have never posted). I'm happy to have an opportunity to express in words how I feel about this program and the community. I wish I were a poet; I might have been able to do it justice.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Alex Rosch

Profile:

OK...
What I'm thankful for....hmm...
Well...just finding a group of people that will go out of their way to help you is wonderful...and not just 'people,' there are world class athletes and coachs.
I'm thankful for people that are willing to change the hearts and minds of 'Muscle and Fitness' reading people everywhere. Those people are out there, ready to give out a website to the CF mothership, along with their email address to anyone that will listen.
I'm thankful I'm in the best shape of my life because I have a toolbox full of goodies that make me want to laugh and cry all at once.
I'm thankful my wife hasn't taken my kids and left me following hours of just talking about CF, let alone doing it...but she likes what she sees
I'm thankful my neighbour has allowed me to use a corner of his garage, in return for use of my equipment...I sweat and suffer, and he is happly bench-pressing in my rack and on my bench.
What I'm not happy about is people making opinions of my beloved CrossFit without reading the FAQ and all the start-here stuff on the web-site. Figure it out people!! Got hurt because you didn't know what you were doing? Would you just jump into an IronMan? Fire tempers steel...it also melts it! Sadly...if you are reading this, you don't need to give your head a shake. You suffer from what many of us faithful CF'ers do...the need to read everything on the subject! And I'm thankful for that!!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

I'm thankful that crossfit provides a challenge for me everyday, and one which I can look forward to. Its a lot more interesting/fun/better than my previous bodybuilding routine.... Its also great that it can be competitive like a sport as well.

Not only has crossfit made me a better athlete and helped me achieve a higher level of fitness.. crossfit has made me a better person.

I love you coach glassman... :hug:
Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
Adam Head

Profile:

What everyone else has said also, but most importantly. . . Thank you
Coach for not being another politically correct fitness coach. There is nothing worse than having an "expert" hand you all of the same BS out of the ACSM and NSCA textbooks and call it fitness. It truly is a breath of fresh air and my clients and I are grateful. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #18
Vince Cafiso

Profile:

Thankful? I don't know where to begin. Sorry for the long post but I would like to provide my background before I can show my appreciation. I'm 35 and for half of my life I have been engaged in some sort of weight training (mostly centered around powerlifting - BS/DL/BP/SP - for Ice Hockey strength/conditioning). Back in June '07 I was in a car accident (hit from behind) and it really messed up my rt. shoulder/neck area (whiplash). The following six months of physical therapy changed my "fitness" life. How you ask? Six words. My therapist asked me a simple six word question: "Have you ever heard of CrossFit?" I never did before that day. So after going to the website and spending hours upon hours (and still counting) learning all about CF and viewing all of the exercise demos and CFJ articles I thought, "This is truly incredible, powerful information!!! But there's NO WAY this can all be for free, right? When am I gonna get hit with the $50-$75/month membership fee?!?!"

Well, fast-forward to today, about 6 months later. Except for the CFJ, I haven't spend a dime. I cannot say THANK YOU enough to all of the people who have made this possible. From the Glassman's all the way down the line. The on-line forum community is incredibly knowledgeable and willing to help with questions. I sincerely hope that Coach and everyone else at CFHQ reads this thread and takes from it how appreciative I am (as well as the rest of you). I know that I can always consult with my "On-line Coach" to make sure I know what I need to be doing, how to do it, when to do it, etc. Also, the diet advice (The Zone Diet) is also much appreciated. I have always been a "hard gainer" and especially in my mid-30's every pound is a battle. Well, I've put on no less than 4 lbs. of LBM in the short time I have been following CF and The Zone and have probably lost about 3% BF. I feel like I am really starting to hit my stride with the WODs and my times/poundages are consistently getting better each week and month with visible changes in my physique. The "proof in the pudding" for me is that I have no problem keeping up with my 6 and 3 year olds who are always in need of piggy back rides (2 at a time of course!). I look forward to the day that they will be cheering me on at a CF Certification!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Please keep all of this amazing and powerful information coming. You are pioneers in the fitness world!

-Vince