CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
Tom Rawls

Profile:
Re: "You have to wear a belt"

Thanx Dale. It's always helpful to get an intelligent frontline report, like yours.

You say that one can lift heavier using a belt. Would there be a training benefit in sometimes using a belt (or wrist straps) to go heavier than you otherwise could?

Just curious.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
Well, let me pose this question to you: have you read of anybody here on the CF forums tearing their abdominal wall doing a WOD? I personally haven't and have been lurking for quite a bit. I don't think that's such a great concern since those at CF stress FORM FORM FORM, which will prevent these types of injuries. I don't think it's too big of a concern really since CF makes sure that people know what they're doing.
Especially considering that the internet is just like the BBB, you hear from about 0.01% of the happy customers, and 100% of the bad ones. If there was any significant number of people getting injured doing Crossfit, we'd definitely hear about it. Critics ALWAYS open their big fat mouths.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #23
Robert Callahan

Profile:

using the belt allows the lifter to get away with not focusing on keeping their abs and back tight throughout a lift. This leads to bad habbits and injuries if they ever lift without the belt. It gives them a false sense of acomplishment and an inflated opinion of where their strength is so that if they ever lift a heavy object without a belt they are more likly to hurt themselves. Now if you are experienced and know to keep the abs and back tight then wearing a belt for heavy use probably isnt a bad thing, but for learning id say not too.
The only people i see wearing a belt have bad form and think the belt will fix their problems... silly globo gym heads

-Robert
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

My doctor said to wear the belt for all lifting. He said for protection and also to avoid "wrestlers stomach". I have no idea what wrestlers stomach is.

Maybe I'll wear for the next DL WOD. But day in, day out, I don't see it.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Nick Cummings

Profile:

If a belt is your major source of injury prevention you are in trouble. Learn how to do the movements correctly and push your limits without exceeding them and you are good to go.

I really dislike this logic but it seems appropriate here. . . If you need to pick up a heavy log or whatnot in the middle of the woods will you have your belt with you?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #26
Doug Holland

Profile:

IMHO,

One thing that should be mentioned is pressure to your internal organs. If you have any fat around the waste like I do, a belt (worn properly) will force the visceral fat into organ cavity's.

This is hard on your kidneys, transverse colon, hepatic and spleenic flexure - followed by general circulatory system.

I do not where a belt even for my heaviest lifts.

For years I wore gloves to protect my hands (I am a Reflexologist) even though I know it causes grip issues.

I no longer wear gloves.

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 03:27 AM   #27
Cal Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shininger View Post
I would think a belt would get in your way...
It does. I tried using one for heavy deadlifts and it cuts in right under my ribs. I ditched it right away. I've also used one for push press and OHP but seem to do just fine without it. I don't think you actually need a belt - it's a crutch that gives false confidence.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #28
Barry Cooper

Profile:

It's seems reasonably clear to me that none of you have hurt your back. The reality of the matter is, as Dale says, that a properly trained and conditioned athlete--one with strong abs they are able tense properly during lifts which need that to prevent the lumbar spine from getting our of place--don't really need belts. I've deadlifted 465 without one, and pressed 210.

However, if I have one, I ALWAYS use it when I get within 10% or so of my one rep max. When you get that close, you will quite often get very minor form deviations, that can lead to injury.

People will say "don't do the lift if you're going to have a form deviation". This is lousy psychology, and likely comes from people whose "one rep max" is 10% or more less than what they likely could do, even without a belt. The fact of the matter is that you don't get max poundage unless you've committed yourself 100% to that lift. No failure, no retreat, no possibility of anything but success. And on the deadlift, for me, that often means a split second of form deviation. I have a very strong back, and have not hurt myself in probably 6 years--doing countless deadlifts--but I do NOT want to do it again, and belts are not harmful, and potentially preventative of injury.

Obviously, you don't need them in the WOD's, although when I used to straight set the deadlifts on Diane I would wear one sometimes since my back got tired on the third set. Generally, though, your wind will give out first.

Bottom line: you don't NEED a belt, but using one is not a bad idea when injury is possible, at limit ranges.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #29
Reginald C. Scott

Profile:

When i was powerlifting our coach who was an old school powerlifter would not let use were a belt or any suits till two weeks out from a meet. He alway stressed that the gear was for the 110% effort in competition. And now days i dont use one.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #30
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Check out the attached article "Back Strong & Beltless" from Paul Check.

I got this from http://www.ptonthenet.com W/F/S. It costs $10.00/mo. to be a member but it is well worth it. Endless articles on every subject imaginable. You can even do postural analysis with your clients and write specific training & rehab routines for clients. You can print them out or even email it to them. I hope this info. will be helpful.

Back Strong and Beltless - Part 1
By Paul Chek

Introduction

When it comes to lifting heavy, a weight belt is more often a fashion accessory than an essential piece of workout gear. How many of you remember the only time anyone wore a weight belt was in the gym and only when they were performing heavy squats, heavy dead lifts or heavy overhead presses? Now it seems virtually everyone is wearing a weight belt! Regardless of how heavy someone’s lifting or what exercise they're performing men, women, Arnold wannabes, weekend warriors, and even the elite few who make the cover of Powerlifting USA are all wearing weight belts.
You’ve all heard the mentality. Squats? "You MUST wear a belt." Bench presses? "You should probably wear a belt." Biceps curls? "To be on the safe side, wearing a belt may be a good idea." Getting a drink of water from the drinking fountain? "Hell, you may as well leave it on since you’ll be wearing it for your next set." This scenario does not pertain to everyone, but the point I’m making is a trend we never used to see in a gym is one we’re seeing more and more everyday.

It's getting ridiculous and way out of hand.
To make matters worse, the trend to wear a weight belt has extended beyond the gym. Trash collectors, truck drivers and construction workers often spend their entire workday wrapped in a weight belt. Some companies have gone so far as to make it a mandatory safety policy that all their employees wear a back harness. Visit any Home Depot, Office Club, or take a look at the waist of your local UPS driver. What do these employees all have in common? They’re all wearing weight belts! Next thing you know, it will not only be against the law to drive without a seatbelt, it will be against the law to operate a vehicle without a weight belt!

What's going on here? Do weight belts really protect our back? Will they make us stronger? Can the estimated 35-40% of people reporting back pain each year, or the 70% of the population who will suffer from at least one episode of back pain in their lives (1) find relief, and possibly even avoid surgery, by making a weight belt a habit?

Before I answer these questions, try to dig up recent pictures of the world's best Olympic weightlifters in competition, but not the American weightlifters who are losing the struggle to achieve international respect. Look at photos of European weight lifters who are continuously breaking records and winning world and Olympic titles. Isn't it interesting that Europeans never use belts when they perform the snatch lift? They’re rarely seen using one for the clean and jerk! Even during training you'll find that many of these lifters prefer to train without any forms of artificial support. In fact, IronMind Enterprises (2) sells videos of these athletes squatting over 300kg (660lbs) without a belt! Either these athletes are asking for an injury, or they know something we don't. (READ MORE IN ATTACHED FILE W/F/S)

Back Strong and Beltless SERIES 1-3.doc