CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #31
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: "You have to wear a belt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post

People will say "don't do the lift if you're going to have a form deviation". This is lousy psychology, and likely comes from people whose "one rep max" is 10% or more less than what they likely could do, even without a belt. The fact of the matter is that you don't get max poundage unless you've committed yourself 100% to that lift. No failure, no retreat, no possibility of anything but success. And on the deadlift, for me, that often means a split second of form deviation. I have a very strong back, and have not hurt myself in probably 6 years--doing countless deadlifts--but I do NOT want to do it again, and belts are not harmful, and potentially preventative of injury.
Odd I have deadlifted 495lbs. with perfect form and failed to get 505lbs. off the ground. This is only ~2% more weight. Are you suggesting that I could of pulled it with lousy form? I like the idea of failing the lift without slouching on form because I believe it helps prevent injury which is always a concern in life.