CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Herschel Walker's Basic Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I'm confident he was being serious. His point was that relative novices will get better training value from focusing on the basics.
That's the ironic part about this . . . "Walker's" book (quotes because the edition I had made no secret of its co-authorship) was very, very, much about the basics, about doing the fundamentals, and about working your *** off. There was absolutely nothing about "exotic" or "advanced" exercises or periodization schemes.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

While I was that calibre athlete, I didn't have much experience at the Olympic lifts, as Eva T. has also lamented from her experiences in the program. I have found SS incredibly helpful, especially as it's been over a decade now since I've had Oly lift instruction.

I don't really expect people around here to give me a wide berth at all. There are plenty of elite athletes on these boards, I'm not that extraordinary. Being an Olympic-level athlete, you become humbly aware of how much better others are. I may have been one of the top in the Midwest, but I still got beat by the Europeans and the guys from the Rocky Mountains and didn't make the cut.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I'm confident he was being serious. His point was that relative novices will get better training value from focusing on the basics. I firmly believe this also; that many gym goers get sidetracked doing all sorts of crazy exercises they read in a magazine or saw on "the ultimate fighter" when they would get more benefit by focusing on more fundamental movements. The easiest example is Rippetoe's Starting Strength program (the beginner one) that is so popular around here. It won't help elite athletes make gains, but most people around who haven't done serious strength training are expected to get better results than from a much more complex program.

Of course this doesn't take into account your own training level. If you were an Olympic Calibre athlete then people around here probably aren't giving you a wide enough berth, hehe.

Bingo, keep in mind Herschel based his program off of what worked for him. Which may, or may not work for you.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Jose Michael Robledo

Profile:

I doubt there is anyone who would not benefeit from doing pushups, squats , sprints, situps, etc.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

No one is saying you wouldn't. But even Herschel did things like squats deads, cleans etc. The volume of work Herschel did was staggering, and is probably overtraining for most. I'mnot saying it's a bad program, it just may not be the best program for us mere mortals.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Herschel was early on the good nutrition bandwagon too. In the mid-80's he opened several franchises of a fast food restaurant called DeLites, that offered "fast" healthy food (eg salads and such). It flopped, mainly because in Georgia all anyone wanted was deep fried.

Here's an interview where Hershel discusses how he got started with his workout.

And here's the result of those workouts: Hershel running over defensive player
Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I got the book and am reading it. I see why people don't want to get rid of theirs. Walker's autobiographical stuff is very interesting and adds a personal dimension to the book. Todd's stuff adds a great deal with the science behind the exercises and is really what takes this book from a basic exercise manual to a classic book in the field. The plans in the back would be invaluable to young athletes looking to start out, and as the programs go to the Advanced level, they are helpful to more experienced athletes as well. I liked the included Karate, sprinting stretching, and water workout tips. It does cover basic weightlifting, as even Herschel Walker needed to add some iron to his regimen when he hit the pros. Overall, I think it's a great book that deserves a reprinting.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
No one is saying you wouldn't. But even Herschel did things like squats deads, cleans etc. The volume of work Herschel did was staggering, and is probably overtraining for most. I'mnot saying it's a bad program, it just may not be the best program for us mere mortals.
So scale it to fit your abilities, like every single Crossfit athlete is encouraged to do.

This 'we may as well not even bother 'cause we don't have the genes' schtick of yours is getting really old.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I saw that it was on eBay for less than $50 (cheaper than I've seen it in years).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300402142635 (wfs)
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Holy necropost, Batman.