CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Ian Grim

Profile:  
So I have a small dilema. I have slmost no equipment and I live in a VERY small, isolated and un-commercialized community in northern British Columbia. I am curious on what equipment I should spend my money on that will allow me to do crossfit successfully in my unfinished basement.

This is what I currently have:
8lb med ball
20lb med ball (in the mail)
skipping rope
35lb dumbell borrowed from boss
heavy resistance stretch cord
pullups done on rafters in basement
dips done in corner where retaining walls meet

I am going to make some sand bags to train with since sand is free for me and I've got lots of garbage bags. Right now I'm pretty much stuck to dips, pullups, pushups, squats (w/no weight), burpees and dumbell swings.

I guess some background would help too. I'm an experienced weightlifter and started leaning O lifts a few years back. Got quite into squats and deadlifts but no others really.

Anyways, please help!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
a olympic bar and a pair of 10-15k bumpers should get you off to a good start.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to...Equipment.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
If you have the sand for free you could make your own med balls of differing weights. Just go to the local thrift store for a used bball.

Plus you could make your own kettle bell. Plus start picking up the buy and sell as everyone sells of their gear.

Wait a second northern BC. Lets not forget get some logs of various lengths for some carries. I used to do that from 2000 to 2002 when I worked in central BC. Though that was for fire wood, real fun in winter.

Also if you have one near you check out your local Wal Mart. About a year ago I bought a selectorized style set of dumbells. I think it was called Hornet. They go from 5-45lbs, one big benefit is it allows you to have more dumbells in a smaller space.

Where in northern BC are you? Someone might be able to tell you of a store that mails to you.

(Message edited by enduramil on February 23, 2006)
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Get rings and make parallettes. Very inexpensive and infinitely useful
Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Either buying or building a pullup bar would go a long way, pullups on the rafters are a bit limiting. Besides that, I would say making some parallettes is a cheap and easy way to incorporate some gymnastic skills into your training. Pick up a couple more dumbells or get one adjustable one and you're set for most everything :D
Old 02-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
Pamela MacElree

Profile:
Ian
IMO, You're set and ready to go, if you're trying to avoid shipping costs on heavy DBs, KBs, and plates. Load of the canvas for the sandbags and make various weights, you can use the sandbags to do O lifts, and your grip strength will increase from it as well. Shoulder the bags and do squats, walking lunges, drags, and pulls. Zercher hold, farmers walks, bear hugs, you have so many options!

I also like the idea of the logs, those can get to be very heavy. Just because it isn't traditional doesn't mean it won't work. Just like in the video that was posted a few days ago, you can perform a clean with anything.

Your imagination can and will take you very far with the equipment you have and the additions you have coming.

Good Luck,
Pamela
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
One other thing I used to do when I was a property caretaker in central BC is slightly different. When there wasn't any snow I had a pile of heavy sand I put in a spot. It was about 4 wheelbarrow' worth maybe more. Once or twice a week would shovel it 5 feet over.

It would be about 20 min. If you do this make sure to switch directions of shoveling to balance it out.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
Ian Grim

Profile:  
Thanks a bunch for all the info. For those who asked, I'm in Anahim Lake, unlikely most have heard of it, haha. It's out near Bella Coola. I guess it isn't THAT northern in the grand scheme, but anyways....

I should be getting into town for some sandbag gear soon and that should be a big help. I'll try to pick up some cheap dumbells and I'm going to commission someone to weld me up a pullup bar I can bolt to the rafters as well.

Can someone tell me what parallettes are? And how can I make my own kettlebells? That sounds interesting.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming if you've got more!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Try a search here or check in the FAQ section on the CF home page.