CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Brent Rizzuto

Profile:
First off, I've read several of your posts and have a great deal of respect for your thoughts and contributions to the boards.

I was reading through some of the old threads on weightlifting shoes, trying to decide if I want to invest in some or not. I came across one thread where you said you did not use weightlifting shoes and expressed some concerns about the lifted heal. See the bottom of this thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/17969.html

I came across a later thread where you talk about your experience using lifting shoes and you recommend buying a pair. See this thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/29465.html.

What changed your opinion about the risks of using weightlifting shoes?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I'm not Greg Everett, as he knows his stuff, but speaking from my personal experience almost all the knee pain I had from years of heavy squats (powerlifting) has disappeared since I acquired my OLY Lifting shoes. The lifted heels help me keep my feet flat when I'm in the hole with a snatch, squat clean, front squat, etc.

Granted, I only have about a years experience with OlY lifting and I still have a lot to learn. However, I do have nearly 20 years experience with powerlifting and a lot of heavy squats in my background. I squatted 622 at age 19 in an IPF meet. Flirted with 700+ for years until the knees and desire left me. I feel so much better since I switched to OLY lifting. Hip flexors give me troubles, but that's getting better.

Don't know if I've helped any? Again, I would defer to Greg.

All the best
Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Arden, do you chop down trees and eat your lunch? If you want to experience the difference, O-lift in construction type boots...they will give you an idea of how solid you will feel with O-lift shoes.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Larry,
I'm a civil defense attorney who competively chops/saws/chainsaws wood for kicks and giggles. I do however completely believe in Oly Lifting shoes. I think they're way better than Construction type boots - much lighter and less cumbersome. I couldn't imagine trying to do split jerks in those types of boots. I think the weight of the shoes and the inflexibilty of the support around the ankle would be problematic. I would prefer to wear my Vans or Chuck's instead. I've done both. When I powerlifted, I wore Chucks. I wish I would have known about the veracity of the wedged soled shoes 15 years ago. I'm not sure where you're going with your comment.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I was completing the Lumberjack song from Monty Python! Thought that was where your quote was from??? :-) I was telling Brent to try construction boots to see how a heel and stiff sole would feel compared to running shoes or even Chucks. I 100% agree that O-lifting shoes are best way, but construction boots are closer to O-lifting shoes than running shoes.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Brent Rizzuto

Profile:
I'll have to give it a shot with my hiking boots. I was just messing around squatting with my hiking boots and my normal workout shoes, which are pretty flat. I can certainly feel the diference. I was also noticing that my knee position over my toes looked pretty good with the raised heel (knees weren't too far in front of my toes). I'll give it a shot for my oly and squat workouts and see if my knees feel any different.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
If you've got bowling shoes - they would work, too.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
If you've got bowling shoes - they would work, too.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Sorry Larry and you're completely right. You betcha. And yes, construction boots are way closer to oly shoes than regular sneakers.

I've been asked if my oly lifting shoes are bowling shoes by several of the senior ladies who train at our local Y. So much in fact, I've considered wearing them bowling to see what would happen. It's not like I'm ever going to get higher than a 135 anyway. But you can hear the air on the ball all the way down the lane. :-D And pins have gone in other lanes before. Bumper bowling (a la Kip and Uncle Rico) is much more my speed.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #10

Profile:

OK, I don't know where I've been for this one...

I still like barefoot training in general (e.g. metCon type work), but not for weightlifting or any traing that will be placing big, repetitive loading on the legs - as I said in one of those threads, these are not exactly natural activities, so approaching them that way is a mistake. I've seen a lot of collapsed arch = collapsed ankle = knee/hip injury, and have the problem myself. So the hard sole/arch support is a necessity in the case of heavy lifting (I wear orthotics in my lifting shoes).

part of my concern with the lifted heels was that forward knee position and the resulting lack of contribution of the hamstrings to the squat. i'm much less concerned with this now because i've decided that position is only problematic if the requisite conditioning hasn't taken place, e.g. someone performs PL-ish squat for years, then decides to load up on the OL squat right away and suddenly develops some nice patellar tendinitis--but that's the fault of poor planning, not the squat position.