CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
David Tate

Profile:
Knee injury recovery

Ok I have a lot to say and a lot of questions so I hope that I don't loose you. I should probably send K Star an E-mail because he seems to have all the answers!

Almost a year ago I dislocated my patella(right) I have recovered preatty well without surgery but I still have a few problems. I feel like my number one problem is strength, my uninjjred leg is so much stronger and I can not help but to favor that side in every thing I do. I don't know how to fix that other than to say that my injured leg is getting stronger. I would say that I distribute my weight during workouts 70% good leg 30% bad leg.

Secondly I have some pain when I work out but I feel like it's a patlela tracking issues related to my lack of leg strenght.

I have doing my WODS scaled to pack on brand x except for the oly lifts and the reason is I am afraid to jump and land with and kind of load. I've doin them with a PVC filled with sand and I feeel like that's helps.

My question I guess is should I keep on with the mainsite stuff or should I do somthing else and what to speed up the stength building. My instincts tell me to keep on and be patient.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Knee injury recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tate View Post
Secondly I have some pain when I work out but I feel like it's a patlela tracking issues related to my lack of leg strenght.
Ive had luck with knee tape: http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_13_4_5.htm (WFS)
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, the patellofemoral syndrome should go away with proper strengthening wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

At this point in time it's probably best to work on leg strengthening stuff. You SHOULD do isolation work (such as SAQ, TKEs, etc.) to help strengthen up the VM/VMO of the quad as well as work back in proper strength work for the hammies and glutes.

Basically, you have to get over favoring your leg if you're going to do barbell work. Start with lighter loads.

If you keep favoring your leg you're going to mess up your activation patterns and it's going to be that much hard to get everything moving correctly.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
David Tate

Profile:

What are SAQ, TKEs? I like the tapeing idea while I do stengthening I need some moves or a WOD. Crossfit works for me because of the format( open the site, do this today, try and do it better next time.

Thanks for the refrences so far. I've got a lot of reading to do and my eyes are bleeding from trying to read it all on my iPhone. I will never take a printed document for granted again....
Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

The only problem I have with taping is it's kinda like orthotics.

It doesn't fix the underlying problem (which is the strengthening and loosening of the proper tissues) and learning correct biomechanics... but allows you to exercise without pain. Without pain is good, but do you really want to be taping forever?

SAQ= short arc quad exercises... isolation work with weight squeezing the last 20-30 deg of ROM to straight. HIts VMO more

Same with terminal knee extensions with bands. You should be able to youtube these for video examples.

Don't focus on CF. Focusing on correcting your dysfunctions... seriously.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
David Tate

Profile:

Steve,

Thank you for all your knowledge I will look up some of those on you tube and work on isolation. Thanks again for the advise!

Tate