CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Scott Stricklin

Profile:
International Medieval Combat Federation

Since our little sport keeps popping up on CrossFit media, I thought I'd post some information so it isn't such a mystery. In essence we're reviving old medieval tournament fighting with blunted steel weapons and armor. There's no choreography or role playing. It's basically MMA with swords and armor.

At the recent world championship in Spain we had teams from as far away as New Zealand come to fight in duels, 5v5 group fights, and big 16v16 melees.

Before all this started a few years ago some of us were already doing CrossFit. It's a natural fit, since during any match we're sprinting, boxing, chopping, and grappling in 50+ pounds of armor in helmets limit vision and breathing. CrossFit is becoming increasingly popular within the US team, and our San Francisco group trains at NorCal.

Here is a video of coverage of Day 4 of the world championship by Spanish national television, queued up to the finals of the 16v16 melee between the US and Poland: http://youtu.be/GEAWvWlCEDY?t=1h15m34s

Here's a fan-made video that is a good summary of the whole event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpb...&feature=share

And this is the original article I wrote for the Journal last year, prior to the world championship in France: http://journal.crossfit.com/2013/06/...reArticleTitle

So, there you have it. It's a small but growing sport and we're all really excited about it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: International Medieval Combat Federation

Looks like a rush. Curious though, what determines if someone is "killed"?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Scott Stricklin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Looks like a rush. Curious though, what determines if someone is "killed"?
A fighter is out for the match if he falls. Basically any "third point" beyond the two feet. Also, losing a chunk of your armor, having a helmet come off, or a serious rules infraction like hacking someone behind the knee or in the throat. That's why a lot of the action is along the fence. It's a lot harder to take someone down there, as opposed to the middle of the field.

A fighter is also down by submission. Sometimes it's just better to take a knee than get hacked by a big axe over and over again.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

THAT. LOOKS. AWESOME!

I cant beleive I am seeing this for the first time just now! Looks like a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stricklin View Post
......Sometimes it's just better to take a knee than get hacked by a big axe over and over again.
This kind of goes without saying.....
Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Scott Stricklin

Profile:

Here's a video from a fan that does a good job of representing the whole tournament. Somebody's been to film school.

http://youtu.be/1hpbGZddYU8?t=31s
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Dakota Base

Profile:

Based on the rules definition for "killed", it really seems like a team that's skilled in Judo and has some fellas with Football (American) or Rugby experience would be at a huge advantage.

I've done a bit of 'free-spar' broadsword play during my 'renfest phase', and spent a few years getting whacked with a bokken in Aikido, plus done some bladed weapon and striking weapon modern CQB training. The videos are probably true to form for the era, but man, those guys need to elevate their game. Watching the videos, it really seems like MMA at UFC 1 - the technical evolution of this sport, if it survives that long, will make these early days look like a joke. Just watching the videos, I know I'd want a mace or maul, then go in with the strategy to use momentum on a first rush (football), use the weapon as defense to get in close, then harai goshi and osoto gari all over the place to finish the game close fighting. Bladed weapons seem like more of a novelty, since they can't be sharp, so the momentum of a striking weapon in defense and inflicting damage at range, then playing the rulebook in close sure seems like it'd be the place to play.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Scott Stricklin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Just watching the videos, I know I'd want a mace or maul, then go in with the strategy to use momentum on a first rush (football), use the weapon as defense to get in close, then harai goshi and osoto gari all over the place to finish the game close fighting. Bladed weapons seem like more of a novelty, since they can't be sharp, so the momentum of a striking weapon in defense and inflicting damage at range, then playing the rulebook in close sure seems like it'd be the place to play.
Well, there's one way to find out if your tactics are sound. Give me your location and I'll put you in touch with the closest fight club. We're always looking for new fighters, and effective techniques.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Scott Stricklin

Profile:

They misspelled medieval, but that's OK. We're on the schedule!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cfschedule.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	13486  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Scott Stricklin

Profile:

I hope everyone enjoyed the entertainment at the CrossFit Games. The feedback we got ranged from "pretty neat" to "freakin awesome," so we're calling that a win. At least no one that hated us cared enough to tell us about it.

Being out on that field was a totally surreal experience. We weren't even the main attraction, and I can tell you that energy from the crowd washes over the field in a wave that you can feel in your bones. Amazing.

Here's our web site if you want to know more: http://armoredcombatleague.us

Here's the clip of us fighting at the games: http://youtu.be/jtSwoUYuppc?t=8m14s
Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Scott Stricklin

Profile:

A little update on ESPN from the world championships this past weekend in Poland:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page...eval-mma-melee